• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a M101A2

stationjj

Hello,

I am looking to recover a M101a2 about 350 mile or 5 hour drive.

I am looking to tow with a 2003 Nissan Murano with pintle hook reciever.

The murano has a Class 3 hitch installed with weight limit of 3500lbs. Not sure about my Tongue weight limit? I am guessing between 200 and 300 lbs? From the specs I have read on a M101a2 I should be ok. My only concern is it may ride too low on the tail end?

I would like to tow with my M1009, but not sure the CUCV is ready for a 500 mile road trip. I posted a bid on Uship.

I am no expert on towing trailers. So I am look for some advice or suggestions. Can I make this work?

Thank You,

stationjj

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Empty the trailer should tow fine. There are hitches with height adjustments for the pintle hitch. I think the trailer will have 8 lugs witch is a standard chevy 8 lug wheel Take a spare. The CUCV would be a better tow vehicle but you gotta go with the one you feel comfortable with. Good luck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 4 cyl Ranger towed one of these just fine, with the trailer back end way up in the air.

stationjj

Thanks for all input. The Nissan Murano isn't the ideal vehicle to tow a M101a2.
Currently its the cheapest solution I have for recovery.

It does have bows. No tarp.

I was thinking about I could add some extra weight to the back part of trailer if needed.

So my towing isn't ideal, but would work?

Thanks,

stationjj

cpf240

Don't forget to put the bolt in to lock out the surge brakes. I don't remember the size bolt, but a search should turn it up.

Oh, and magnetic trailer lights... with bungee cords... and trip permit, if needed in your state.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The trailer weighs 1300lbs. Hook it up and pull it home. Don't add weight anywhere. Don't think twice about it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have over 2,400 miles towing a 101 and that's just to the Georgia Rallies. The A2s tow great empty and full. You can get the mag lights at Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply. (HF $9.99 on sale) and you may need the adapter depending on whether you have 4 or 7 wire female on the Murano.

Like Gimpy said, tow and go.

MarcusOReallyus

The trailer weighs 1300lbs. Hook it up and pull it home. Don't add weight anywhere. Don't think twice about it.

:ditto:

:grd:

No problem. Just go. Your tow vehicle is just fine. Use mag lights.

The trailer? Check it over first. Check the bearings, be prepared for tire problems.

DeadParrot

If your Murano is like my Ford Escape, the 3500lb tow limit comes with a 350lb tongue limit. If the A2 has the same safety chains as an A1, they will likely be too short. May want to take some extra chain just in case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks