• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing m35a2 with m35a2

emr

The correct length is the one you are most comfortable with. The bar's max capacity is collapsed. Some folks report better tracking with the bar extended. I keep mine short as bent tow bars irritate me. Actually, the extend-able length is more targeted at lift towing where the bar attaches to the axle housing.

:)... correct... correct... correct..., U will hear guys say, HEY U should only tow fully callapsed...I use one hole out personnally. As long as u do not jacknife her U are fine, and realize they do get weaker as they get longer and act accordingly. U are fine these are tough tow bars... u did GREAT!!!!!!!!!

A deuce towing a deuce is wayyyy fine and not a problem braking at all, in fact the basic rule of keeping the vehicle being towed by a tow bar the SAME OR SMALLER is a wise thing to do, BUT as everything else it depends on driver ability, when u tow more weight and mass than the work vehicle U need to add breaking to the towed vehicle, allas the glad hands in the front of a five ton... many many many posts on this....

Last edited:

nhdiesel

Not a Deuce, but I had a tow bar partially fail while towing one pickup with another. The rear truck ended up heading toward the side of the road (and LONG steep drop) while taking the rear of my truck with it. I was finally able to get everything stopped just before they went down the ditch, and we spent about 3 hours getting things extracted and hooked back up. It was more than a scary experience. Luckily no damage was done to either vehicle (miracle in itself) and nobody hurt.

Remember that you are pulling a vehicle with ALL of it's tires on the ground...that means TRACTION when it decides it wants to go somewhere. You are towing with a vehicle with NO weight in the rear, because there is no tongue weight from a tow bar...so you have little traction in the rear. If that towed vehicle gets even a little out of control, you are going for a ride with it. If I were going to tow a vehicle with another equally weighted vehicle again, I'd go and put a nice BIG load in the bed of the tow vehicle. While the extra weight will be even more strain on the brakes, I'd rather take it slow and easy that way than have another out of control situation.

It wasn't long after my near crash that I bought a trailer. I like trailers. They follow the truck nicely.

Jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to add 2 things. When I did my 2568 mile trip with a deuce towing a deuce, I did the piggyback. Worked nicely. On the weight issue. If you have the time, transfer some heavy stuff from the towed truck to the towing truck. Outside rear duals, the spare and 2 6TL batts lightens your towed load by almost 1000# and subsequently puts the weight in a favorable place in the back of the towed truck. I know Randy has tons of miles towing deuces with deuces as do I. Just use common sense and think many moves ahead and you will be just fine!

goodguyzy

thanks for all the great info everyone, i dont mind the smart ass stuff either, on kurtkds pic, great pic btw, helps out, can you hook up a cord for lights from a deuce to a deuce?
also on another note, im a newbie at the mv's and any info even basic smart ass info is stuff i probably dont know
thanks again everyone

rwbrown72

thanks for all the great info everyone, i dont mind the smart ass stuff either, on kurtkds pic, great pic btw, helps out, can you hook up a cord for lights from a deuce to a deuce?
also on another note, im a newbie at the mv's and any info even basic smart ass info is stuff i probably dont know
thanks again everyone
Sorry for the thread hijack with my rant! :rant: I am also interested in how to hook up the brakes? Is it difficult or something that can be done on a GL lot?

P.S. I view this site as a big family and the kids sometimes fight but they are family at the end of the day. :beer:

Barrman

Pull the J pipe off the back of the air pack, put in a fitting for an air chuck, then run an air hose from your passenger side air fitting on the front truck to the air pack on the back truck.

Stretch has a great post with pictures about it. The older long style air pack has different sized threads than the newer short style air packs. We used a pair of M35's to pull another pair back 400 miles from OKC in 2008. We brought the fittings for the long style, but couldn't hook them up because all the trucks were short style. Braking was no problem. Even with a M105 in the back of all 4 trucks.

goodguyzy

let me add this: in the northwest i would never use a deuce to pull another, i am now calling my deuce the gutless wonder. on the hills was not good, i cant imagine going over a 2,0000' climb like much of I-5 is around my house, if its flat i dont see a problem.

ranchand

Pull the J pipe off the back of the air pack, put in a fitting for an air chuck, then run an air hose from your passenger side air fitting on the front truck to the air pack on the back truck.

Stretch has a great post with pictures about it. The older long style air pack has different sized threads than the newer short style air packs. We used a pair of M35's to pull another pair back 400 miles from OKC in 2008. We brought the fittings for the long style, but couldn't hook them up because all the trucks were short style. Braking was no problem. Even with a M105 in the back of all 4 trucks.
:-?On my deuce the service brakes are on the drivers side:???:

acesneights1

Wanted to bump this rather than start a new one. I didn't see anything in this thread with regards to pulling the driveshaft.
Can you just put the T case in neutral ? Or do either the driveshaft or axles need to be pulled. Also do you guys think a 1973 Ford F600 could flat tow a non running deuce ? I may need to move one about 90 miles.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neutral and neutral.

90 miles, no need to pull anything.

Some weight on the F600 may be helpful.

acesneights1

Thanks. I'm gonna weigh the price of having it towed vs using my Dump truck. It I tow it it will be back roads and slow.
Actually if I register it I can call triple A...lol I have the gold plan which includes RV's

skinnyR1

Thanks. I'm gonna weigh the price of having it towed vs using my Dump truck. It I tow it it will be back roads and slow.
Actually if I register it I can call triple A...lol I have the gold plan which includes RV's
Id double check aaa. I looked into it and they wont cover our trucks for tows, even with the rv coverage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks