• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M37 w/M35A2

rmgill

Seems like the M37 is just about the right size that you could make a towbar that is rigid and suspends the front end. I'm thinking a long a-frame that's chained to the underside in 4 spots and which you have to use a jack to lift the front end to hook up. But otherwise it'd be about the right size and weight as an M105 with a load on it.

91W350

The M37 is about 15 feet long while the deuce bed is only 12 feet long. The width isn't a problem, M37 at 6 feet and the deuce bed at about 7.5.
I thought the wheelbase on a M-37 was only 112" or 9.33 feet. They have a little overhang on the front, but not 3 feet. Who cares if the end of the bed and tailgate are beyond the end of the bed. I'll bet a loading dock on both ends and you could just drive it on, drive it off. No worries about tire wear, getting stuck backing up etc... I would just load it up and hit the road.

bubba_got_you

I thought the wheelbase on a M-37 was only 112" or 9.33 feet. They have a little overhang on the front, but not 3 feet. Who cares if the end of the bed and tailgate are beyond the end of the bed. I'll bet a loading dock on both ends and you could just drive it on, drive it off. No worries about tire wear, getting stuck backing up etc... I would just load it up and hit the road.
[FONT=&quot]The wheelbase is from center to center not out side of the tires [/FONT]

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will be flat towing the M37 behind the M35 on the way to and from Haspin this time around - Cabell has assured me in the past that there is no problem flat towing the M37 behind a deuce, so I'm gonna give it a try. Drop both driveshafts, float the steering, safety chain everything and PULL.

emr

Tow barring works very well, and does not have the trailer to contend with at shows and stuff, I go for tow bar, its a faster hook up I think. I am sure someone could drive faster with a trailer though.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think towing a M37 behind a deuce would slow it down too much, especially with both of the driveshafts removed and the front hubs unlocked (Warn hubs). Maybe on the hills only. I towed home several deuces behind my own deuce, and it managed to get to 52 mph on the flat and level, but when even the mildest hill came into view, the truck slowed down to 25-30 mph.

Flatbed trailer rental sucks for 5 days, about $250 all told. Not worth it to me if I can towbar the Power Wagon.

91W350

I found a Civilian Power Wagon of the era and with winch bumper, it is 14 feet from the tire contact of the rear tire to the front of the front bumper. I see I was wrong...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I towed a friend's M37 yesterday to the shop to get some work done on it, behind the deuce. It was only across town, so I didn't disconnect the driveshafts, but everything was in neutral and let the steering float. It towed right behind the deuce like a dream. Only way I knew it was back there was that the few hills I encountered the whole train slowed to a crawl. Top speed of the combo was around 42 mph, although I'm sure if I was out on the interstate I could get to normal speed.

I don't think I'll have a problem towing my new M37 next week behind the deuce - until I get to some of the major hills in central WV....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks