• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission gearshift lever questions.

My gearshift lever has quite a bit of play in it, just at the column, everything shifts well, and locks in gear positively, the lever is just sloppy and vibrates slightly at the steering column, making an annoying buzz. I searched the int. and unit tms, but remain a bit confused as to what brings tension to the lever to positively lock it in place inside the column. Can somebody let me know whats up? I intend to replace the ignition switch anyway. Might as well fix this too.

Hasdrubal

Sounds like my truck. Does the shift lever just flop back and forth instead of being held outward from the steering wheel? There is spring inside the column that provides this tension. I haven't replaced mine because its somewhat more involved re&re wise to get to its location. But I have the new spring , bought from a GM dealership. Part # 7812853

To see this spring location, remove the rivet ( note; mod bottom side, not top) that holds the shift lever in the column, where it pivots. You'll see that the bottom of the lever has a long tapered end. The spring is in a recess and acts upon the dash side of this tapered end causing the lever to always be sprung away from the column.

Last edited:
I am not so much after the tension on the lever itself front and back, but the tension that keeps the indicator needle in place. I have absolutely no problems slipping out of gears, but can move my shifter lever a good inch or so up and down in any given gear. I am trying to understand what locks the lever in place from moving up and down, keeping the needle in place. Is it that same spring? when I move my lever up and down,I can feel the vibration causing the buzz come and go as I manually put the lever where I believe the part in question has failed.

TGP (IL)

Have you checked the pivot bushing on the frame rail bracket? it could be missing or wore out.
I would check that and the rest of the linkage from the transmission up.
TGP

SPECIALTYLC

Check the linkage where it bolts to the trans . That bolt can loosen and cause the slop you are talking about. One of my pickups had the same symptom. And it was just the nut on the trans shifter.

Ilink ended up replacing the shift linkage bushing that is just beyond the firewall. On the column in the engine compartment. Don't lose the little plastic insert on your existing one if it is even still there at all. Problem solved.