• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission question

FLINT

Hey guys,

I just got a 91 chevy 1500 Z71 4x4 truck on a trade that I'm going to give to my dad.

The truck has just over 200k miles on it but has a pretty new reman 350 in it.

The guy said that it had a 700r4 tranny in it. My dad is going to do some towing (nothing huge, just junk cars) with the truck and here's what I'm wondering.

Say the tranny goes out, would it be feasable to offer to swap trannys with my dad (I have a m1028 ), and then he would get a tough 400turbo and I could get the 700r4 rebuilt strong and have overdrive in my CUCV.

does anyone know what kind of transfer case that 91 has?

Thanks!

FLINT

ok, i checked that vin number website and it said:

MD8TRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC 4-SPEED(THM700R4/4L60) 4-SPD A/TRANS(MD8)

MX0TRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC,OVERDRIVE(MERCHANDISING OPTION) A/TRANS PROVISIONS(MX0)
TRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC,OVERDRIVE(MERCHANDISING OPTION)(MD8) A/TRANS PROVISIONS(MX0)

so does that mean that it does have the 700r4 ?

Cucvnut

well your vin is showing a 700r4/4l60 its the same transmission if it was a 4l60E that would mean its a electronically controlled transmission. so it seems you lucked out and can do the swap just make sure you swap T cases also a 1/2 ton truck most likely is 27 spline on the input shaft and the 1028 is a 32 spline turbo400

Iceman3005

The 4l60E didn't come till 1994 they used the 700r4 until 1993, I used a 700r4 out of a 1993 chevy s-10 blazer for my overdrive swap.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might can help, advice wise. Your dads truck most likely has an NP241 transfer case and drops on the drivers side. You can't use that transfer case. What you would need to do is swap the input in your 208 case for the 27 spline input. That would also require a swap in his 241 case and I'm not sure if that part is available. My skillset is limited on the 241. The 700R4 will require a diesel governor and converter. You would also require the TV cable linkage unique to the 6.2. Another mod you would have to do to your dad's truck is add the electronic kick down switch on the gas pedal. I would say that your best bet is to buy a takeout from an 80s chev.

Iceman3005

Don't need to swap the input on a np208, just find an np208 that came off the back of a turbo 350, it will bolt right up! Thats what I did. Can also use an NP241 from a chevy k-5 blazer 1989-90 used the right side drop NP241 it is a little beefer than an NP208. Don't need too change governor, I didn't and it shifts fine. You will need too change the flex plate and the torque converter, I have a company that I use for those parts, if you want the information pm me. You can still get the tv cable from just about any parts store, they still make them, I got mine for about $16 dollars they had too order it. The TV cable rod is also still in production, call the local chevy dealer and they can special order it from there antique parts department. The TV cable bracket is no longer available, I'm going too see if my brother-in-law can make them, he is a machinest. There is no electric kick down switch, that is what the TV cable is for.

Yes the 700r4 was also called the 4l60 but if it has an "E" at the end then it is electronic shift, will not work on older trucks without computer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't need to swap the input on a np208, just find an np208 that came off the back of a turbo 350, it will bolt right up! Thats what I did. Can also use an NP241 from a chevy k-5 blazer 1989-90 used the right side drop NP241 it is a little beefer than an NP208. Don't need too change governor, I didn't and it shifts fine. You will need too change the flex plate and the torque converter, I have a company that I use for those parts, if you want the information pm me. You can still get the tv cable from just about any parts store, they still make them, I got mine for about $16 dollars they had too order it. The TV cable rod is also still in production, call the local chevy dealer and they can special order it from there antique parts department. The TV cable bracket is no longer available, I'm going too see if my brother-in-law can make them, he is a machinest. There is no electric kick down switch, that is what the TV cable is for.

Yes the 700r4 was also called the 4l60 but if it has an "E" at the end then it is electronic shift, will not work on older trucks without computer.
I'm not up on all of the 241 cases but the 91 at least, has an electronic speedo so no cable hookup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks