• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip to Shirleys Surplus...

alphadeltaromeo

It's simple, but effective. With respect to other modifications for security, I know that OPCOM has installed a door lock on his 2.5T, but are there others out there?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My truck has a hidden cutout switch that kills the electrical system and a keyed switch on the dash (both civvy options).

rdixiemiller

I enjoyed the day with the guys. I got to harass Clinto all day, we got to see lots of neat junk, and in general had a good time. ADR asks a lot of questions, but they are all well thought out! I ask him questions about computers and networking, so we are even!
Looking at that ignition lock, it appears you can put the hinge rivet in either side, to make it open either way. I am intriguesd by it, and the fact that several members have seen them makes it military enough for me.
Time to start fab work!

rmgill

alphadeltaromeo said:
It's simple, but effective. With respect to other modifications for security, I know that OPCOM has installed a door lock on his 2.5T, but are there others out there?
My deuce has a locking handle AND a master cut off switch.

ida34

Armada said:
Great pics. One of those ignition switch locks came on my deuce and I think Chuck (ida34) has one on his too. Our trucks came from the same unit.
Yeah, they are like brothers. We will have to get them back together for a family reunion next year.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reviving an old thread. Anyone in the area going by Shrleys anytime soon? Something there I need an eyeball on.

Bill W

Kenny
Let me know what you need looked at, Shirleys is about 35 minutes from me and about 15minutes south of the Homedepot I frequent

Capt.Marion

Where is Shirley's? I may take a trip down there some day... I think its been answered for me before, but my memory works oh so well...

alphadeltaromeo

Capt....it's in Barnsville, GA - so not too far from you. Perhaps we can mount a joint trip down there with a few more members for grins again really soon. I'm game.

Andy

Jakob said:
alphadeltaromeo said:
example:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/modules/PNphpBB2/files/cimg0544_small_101.jpg
tires junk, top junk, rusty, bad seats, etc, etc...
What's the paint on this truck from? My truck had this paint job and I thought it was a bad camo job by a PO.
Jakob,
It most likely was a MERDC pattern. They were often brushed-on, free-handed jobs done in the motor pool by the lowest ranking soldier. (not a factory applied paint job) A search for MERDC will give you lots of info.

Here are a few excerpts and threads to start with:

rmgill said:
Junkyard Wars Crusher said:
One more thing to remember (it has been discussed many times on this forum in the past) - Inconsistencies in pattern and color are very common because many of the camo paint jobs were done at the unit level.
Also, the sun, rain, and adverse weather can drastically change the paint appearance.
The MERDOC pattern was to be applied at the unit level on a seasonal basis with the local earth color being changed to match the local colors and then the greens changed as the seasons changed. The black was there to create false shadows.

The system is more maintenance intensive, but clearly is better than a one size fits all camo scheme, certainly during the height of the cold war.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13505&highlight=merdc

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13918&highlight=merdc

Capt.Marion

alphadeltaromeo said:
Capt....it's in Barnsville, GA - so not too far from you. Perhaps we can mount a joint trip down there with a few more members for grins again really soon. I'm game.

Andy
I'd love to. I'd relish the chance to meet the rest of the GA boys here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks