• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck stuck. quick electrical question.

Dabba

So awhile ago my shop replaced my starter with a 12 starter and I converted it by pulling the starter wire off the firewall and placing it on the front battery and did the dog head conversation for the starter relay. Anyway truck didn't start on only 12v and I took the starter wire and placed it on the firewall to use 24v and one of the battery terminals melted. I just want to make sure it's the right terminal on the firewall. So which one does the starter wire go to? Pictures?

Dabba

It turns out I may get it towed to the shop. It's cheap, and there's a foot of snow on the ground so I'm not doing the starter. Anyone have a part number or good model for a reliable 24v replacement?

Cucvnut

Can you please change the title of the thread and remove the help, Help is used here for emergencys ie stuck on side of road and you need Assistance. If the truck is at home please change the title. Just a thought, if you do not grasp what your doing and have allready chopped up the wiring chances are a shop will not know what to do since your truck is 24v.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you "converted it", did you rewire the solenoid supply as well?

If not, you have been sending the starter solenoid 24 volts(and that is what probably killed your starter(solenoid).

To "fix " this, you need to remove the under dash starter relay and simply connect the purple with white wire to the purple wire.

Dabba

I did that. I want to convert it back. I have the relay in the glovebox. I just want to confirm on which terminal on the firewall the starter wire goes as the truck melted a battery connector. I'm 95% sure I'm right and it was just a bad connections. The truck has a habit of corroding battery connectors

Dabba

Luckily my memory is better than I thought. Converted back to 24v. Being one battery was near dead this didn't stress the starter too much. It's at the shop now. Hopefully Monday they can swap the starter and check the glow plugs. Was impossible to start at 0 degrees and very hard today at 30. Took a few glow cycles and long cranks, with a lot of white smoke on startup

Hasdrubal

The best starter is the big heavy original 27MT direct drive. Get it rebuilt, new brushes, bushings and bendix. You'll be surprised by how fast it then cranks and how instantly the engine fires, if your fuel and GP systems are in good order. They are made to last.

Dabba

Mine has long since been gone. Another reason I'm having the shop do it is because they have a history with the starter as well as drilling/tapping new holes in the block. Their work, so figure let them do it. If they cant find an easy replacement ill look for one. I think my more major issue are glow plugs glowing bad. Even on 12v, it shouldnt have been this hard to start

usmcpatriot

I opted to stay with the 24 volt system for the obvious reason, they, "GMC" made the the 24 volt starter, for a stronger start. And in the winter, I'd rather have the beefier 24 volt pushing the 6.2.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

When I replaced mine, NAPA actually had one in stock. This is what I got: $246.44 NAPA WIL 91014417 24Volt Delco Remy 28MT.
I also had my original one re-built for $97.00 and now have a back-up and the original. But the NAPA replacement seems to work fine. Have only had it for 3 months now but at -20 over the weekend (but Garaged) she started up within 4 seconds and 1 cycle. I also noticed that the new one seems to crank better than the original did before it went out but I'm not sure if that was a result of the old one going out.
Anyway, I hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks