• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbo for M35a2

Jake0147

Interesting perspective about shutting down the motor. I would probably put the transmission in high gear and let out the clutch with my foot on the brakes to stop the motor but that might burn out the clutch - what do you think? I never even thought about this situation but it is nice to know in case this happens! Let's hear from Kenny!

This should work but is hard to count on. The alternate fuel source is unknown, if the engine runs away in a big way it is quite possibly (even likely) getting way too much fuel, in essence "turning up" the engine way beyond it's rated horsepower. You might not have enough spring pressure in a good clutch to "catch" a runaway engine. Not to mention many of these clutches are very old, and the clutches on these were (supposedly, by the TM... ) serviced as individual components, so the pressure plate might have already outlived several friction disks and have reduced spring pressure to begin with.

I would not neglect to try using the clutch to stall a runaway extremely quick, but if it doesn't work then alternate plan B would want to be close at hand. Plan B need not be anything fancy at all. Just something (anything really) that is flat and sturdy that you can stick over the intake tube (with the mushroom cap removed). Being quick enough to save an engine requires that the mushroom cap be snug but not tight, so it can be "twisted" out with no tools, and requires that your flat whatever be readily accessable.

I have a round piece cut out of a thick pine board that I keep in the tool box. It is just barely big enough to fit through the hole in the side panel which keeps it lined up with the filter housing inlet, and will "glue" its self onto the intake until the engine stops with no further assistence from me. I recruited a co-driver to assist, and determined that even with the little "slot" leaking, it will stop the engine from WOT in a couple of seconds. IMHO, because it stays put, if I were alone and the engine hadn't blown up yet (or maybe even if it had but had only put one or two rods through the block...), that'd buy me enough time at a reduced power and RPM to get back to the cab and "finish it off" with the clutch...

Upon first reading this forum, I was paranoid about a runaway engine. Having read more, I am no longer paranoid, or even worried. But I would become so again very quickly if I suspected the turbo had sprung a leak. I will continue to keep said wood block with me even though I no longer expect to ever have to use it. It's something that I believe most owners will never have to do, but I'd recommend a "fire drill" to anyone. Even to see if you can kill it from a "reasonable" speed with the hand throttle. With the motor screaming like it does at high idle (which is a long way short of a true runaway), it'd be very easy to slip into panic mode which makes it very difficult to "invent" a solution right on the spot...

HAWKMAN

Interesting perspective about shutting down the motor. I would probably put the transmission in high gear and let out the clutch with my foot on the brakes to stop the motor but that might burn out the clutch - what do you think? I never even thought about this situation but it is nice to know in case this happens! Let's hear from Kenny!
I had a guy that used to buy all my CO2 fire exst. from the shelters that I had stripped out and he said they worked great for "calming" down a runaway diesel....for what this is worth...Merry Christmas:-D

houdel

Pulling off your mushroom cap and blocking the intake opening works also.

"C" (whistler) turbos have a tapered "snail shell" shape to the exhaust side. "D" turbos have a wider, non tapered exhaust side.

Here are pictures of both, "C" on the left, "D" on the right.

Attachments

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turbo For Tonys Truck

Thanks for all of the help I have one coming from ranchhopper I just need to try and find the gasket to put it on.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
OK, stupid question for the morning. Are turbo's rebuilt or just chucked? I have a turbo that I have no idea if it is good or not and would just as soon have it rebuilt rather than try it first. Last thing I would want is one of these run aways.

Hammer

OK, stupid question for the morning. Are turbo's rebuilt or just chucked? I have a turbo that I have no idea if it is good or not and would just as soon have it rebuilt rather than try it first. Last thing I would want is one of these run aways.
They can be rebuilt.
Also a good time to change the compressor wheel around for a bit more efficient boost while they are there. :)
Someone on the board offers this exact service.

Hammer

Couldn't you stop a runaway by slipping a plastic bag over the intake mushroom?
Eric
CBVET
You ever stick your hand near the intake when the engine is running? That thing will pull in a lot of air with a SERIOUS suction before it will stop the motor. And that is at idle!
No way a normal plastic bag would work. And it only takes a small hole to allow enough air for it to keep running.
BUT, if that is all you had, throw it on there, then jump in and dump the clutch to finish it off.

On four of my trucks, one intake mushroom is too dented to work, but the other ones work pretty darn well to stop the engine.

This is something that wouldn't be a bad thing for people to actually try out. It will harm nothing, but might save a lot later on.

Jake0147

Also a good time to change the compressor wheel around for a bit more efficient boost while they are there. :)
Change the wheel around? As in change the original? Replace with something different? What is "fixed" with this modification...

Just curious as mine works fine for me, so a "watered down" version is perfect. Not trying to take business from an SS member offering the service...

FreightTrain

Banned
They can be rebuild but all depends on how far along they are.If they got so bad for the blades to touch the housing then there is nothing left reusable except the Center section.Both wheels,Both housings and all seals and bearings will have to be totally replaced and balanced.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a turbo from ranchhopper got it on today late started it up ran great but all of the oil from the old turbo blew all over my other Duce how I got wash it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks