• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo oil return hose

ccf460

The turbo has a metal pipe heading towards the oil pan, with a short section of rubber hose connecting it to a nipple just above the oil pan. Mine is leaking ,is there anything special about the hose? Can I just put a temperature rated rubber hose from an automotive application, or do I need to find an exact replacement? How hot does the oil get coming from the turbo?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The turbo itself can get as hot as the EGTs. I think a regular oil rated hose should be fine. To make it easy on yourself, loosen the hose clamps and then un-bolt the metal tube from the turbo. It will slide out much easier that way.

joshs1ofakindxj

I had to replace my turbo drain hose. It is a 1" ID silicone hose rated for high temp oil. A hose rated for coolant won't last long there. I found a common 4" long Cummins replacement that just barely is long enough to work: Cummins #3818267 - Cost about $20 at a big truck repair shop and they had them in stock. It has been working fine with no leaks all spring and summer.

Also the exhaust gasket manifold to turbo gasket and the 2 turbo oil line gaskets were available at the local CAT dealer if you need them:

1S-4295 Exhaust Manifold to Turbo Gasket $6.99
1S-4810 Turbo Oil Drain Gasket $0.89
1S-6595 Turbo Oil Feed Gasket $0.80

If you follow Gimp's advice (I would) and remove the hard steel drain line from the turbo then I would scrape clean the mating surfaces and use a new gasket listed above.

Last edited:

lavarok

I thought I read somewhere that silicone was a no-no here.

When I replaced mine, I went over to the local Ringpower and bought a section of bulk hose. The part number of the hose is "371-8094" and I paid .37 per CM.

I found the original hose specs listed online by doing a search for the NSN. I sent this over to Ringower first to identify a suitable replacement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks