• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated radial tire vs. bias ply tire

digitaldust

I have been reading a bit about the radial tires. with the stock deuce rim can you get away with out tubes ?

I can get radial tires for very cheep. Is radial really better ?

what is the tested better way you have gone

1 using stock NDT tires nothing to mod them no chains ,, In winter

2 using a tire grover to cut the tire into a snow kinda pattern

3 using radials 9.x20 r somethings

4 what working for you, why did you change. Was it worth it.

armytruck63

The stock rim is a two piece unit and is not air tight. You would be better off using a tube and a flap with a tubeless tire - it can be done. Another possibility is finding a modern one piece 20 inch wheel with the same bolt pattern and offset.

Good luck!

Barrman

Tubes work great with radial tires. Just make sure you get radial tubes. Yes, there is a difference between tubes meant for radial tires and tubes meant for bias ply tires.

deathrowdave

You may not want to change wheels, but if you want to I run 11r22.5 radial tubeless. If you get something in the tire you can plug it tempo. tilll you can make repairs! Save tire changes on the side of the road !!!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use radial tubes in bias tires but you can't run bias tubes in radial tires. That is why they only make radial tubes anymore, they will work in either tire.

The only way you can go tubeless is to change wheels. While 22.5 tubeless wheels with the deuce bolt pattern aren't the norm, they are out there if you look. I've actually got a civilain trailer that runs 17.5 tires with the deuce bolt pattern.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like my radials [thumbzup] They ride & handle so much better on the road! & I kinda like the looks of 'em.
NDT's are bias ply and are very hard. Due to the center bar they are not good on wet and/or snowy pavement. Sipping or grooving will help.
NDT's, aired down, will go through some snow.

Attachments

armytruck63

Mixing tire types is a bad idea. You would probably end up with squirrelly handling on the highway. Plus, it would be almost impossible to match diameters.

Switching to radials is an all or nothing proposition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks