• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uprights(staves, stakes) for M35A2C dropside cargo cover

Tater Salad

Hi everyone, just get my first (non-dispatched) MV, 1970 AM General, and I am trying to get the cargo cover up. It came with bows and the 90 elbows, but no uprights. I bought some fiberglass ones off eBay, but they're too small on the truck end. Does the dropside require different staves or adapters because of the larger holes in the truck side? Are there different staves for the corners?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Your staves should look like these: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...its-for-M35A2-M35A3-M35-M35A1-M211&highlight=

I am looking for a better picture in my files, if I find it I'll add it.

All dropside and standard bed cover components are the same, except the bows clip onto the corners versus being held together with 2 screws. Otherwise all the components are the same (dimensionally) and interchange.

Let's see the staves (uprights) you're working with.

I don't think the pockets in the beds are any different from dropside and standard.

FloridaAKM

Without the troop seats, you don't have the height you need to even walk around inside after you install the cover. I just purchased several of these cover kits & installed one on my truck that had the troop seats in it already. It fit perfectly as long as you don't have drop side like I do; if you have drop sides, you have to unlock them or do as I did & drill a hole in the 4 corner staves to allow the locks to lock the sides in place. Folks here said that you just leave the locks undone as you can't drop the sides with the top on, but I had already done the mod.

Tater Salad

c;1654099]No they are all the same. But you need the troop seats. The staves goes into them not the bed sides.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I wondered what the deal was.

tcruwithme

The pockets in a drop-side truck are slightly different than the pockets in a standard truck. The drop-side pockets have a hole drilled in the side for a locking pin to slide through. While the staves are all the same from drop-side to standard truck, you will need to drill a hole through the staves for the four corners of the drop-side truck if you want to use those locking pins.

This bolt or pin can be seen in Figure #173 of TM 9-2320-209-20P. It is PN# 10937498 and called "PIN: SIDE RACK LOCKING."

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The bolt in the dropside is to retain the sideracks not the staves. I would like to see someone drop the side with the bows and cover still on.

tcruwithme

With the bolt of the drop-side truck engaged (pushed in), it is unlikely you will be able to seat your stave all the way into the pocket of the side rack. Therefore, you will need to drill a hole through the stave. This way, when you slide the stave into the pocket of the side rack, it will seat all the way down. The result is that the top of your staves will all be the same height. You can then engage the bolt - through the stave - which holds the side rack on just like CARNAC says. I learned this the hard way by messing around with it way longer than I should have.

There is another similar thread here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?133372-Installing-New-Bows-amp-Cover-on-M-35A2C

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks