• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warm starting issues, white smoke, and confusion

camojcory

ok guys i have been searching the forums and i apparently have the exact opposite problem as everyone else with my '85 1009 so i'm hoping for a little help.

my truck starts in the morning perfect, even after sitting outside in our cold south dakota nights. wait light comes on, goes off after 10-20 sec, turn the key and she fires right up instantly.

some times she runs pretty rough for 5-10 sec after that first cold start up but then she idles out fine. this should be looked into, but it's not the problem i'm having.

the problem is that anytime i start the truck after that first cold start, you really have to crank it over for a long time to get the engine to fire up. if it sits for hours it will start ok, but shut it off to run into the store and you are turning it over for at least 5-10 sec before it will start again.

also, when it does start after one of these episodes, you get a large puff of white smoke. i am told this is unburned fuel?

the truck is stock other than a manual GP switch that was added per the "manual glow plug install" thread on this site by the guy i bought it from. this switch seems to help a little, but not much and not always.

i have looked through the forums and the TMs, i have not found an answer to this problem. I do not have the tools or the knowledge to test everything on the truck. i'm an electrical moron and would rather just replace a questionable part with a new one, but i don't want to replace everything.

what do you guys think it is? my fuel injector timing/calibration, GPs, GP relay, GP controller, temp sending units?

91W350

I am experiencing that now, so I called a friend, he says sticking injectors...mine also smokes heavily at idle and is using a lot more fuel.... he recommended trying Sea Foam and two cycle engine oil in the fuel. I fed her a quart of both last night and she was much better today, but I have not really had a chance to get it good and warm yet. It is starting much better and smoking a lot less on start up. If this does not cure it, I think it is new injector time. Glen

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use standyne IP additive.
If it takes 5 or 10 sec to re start and your IP pump may need to be rebuilt rotor Button and check valve on the way out. fuel warm and does not make a good seal do to ULSD fuel junk these days certane is 40ish or below what it use to be 40 to 50 certane.
I did my up grade to the IP and she will start any time no problem.

Westech

CPL
if you are having injector problems you know you can replace all 8 for about 80 bucks right? I just dont like tossing a bunch of snake oil and wasting money. If a injector is bad.. its bad.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westech :ditto: I just replace all that has old tech to new for this crappy fuel bought to day and now here in michigan I put HEAT911 power service in all my fuel due lower fuel waxing and all the other BS with ULSD.

camojcory

so you think it's my injectors or injector pump? if that's so, then why does it start good when it's cold but not when it's warmed up? and it runs and drives great, it just has the starting issue and it only gives the puff of white smoke at start up, not while it's running or idling.

i thought it was either my temp sending units, GP controller, or GP relay.

camojcory

i was about to give it a tune up (fuel filter, air cleaner, oil change), i guess new GP are a good idea anyway.

i will look into the temp sending unit a little more.

i also plan on doing dogheads starter mod and his GP controller 12v resupply.

anything else i SHOULD be doing to this thing? other than barrelling down the road with a grin like a kid in a candy store.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks