• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warning!! Check your surplus engines before start up!

Gunfreak25

Pulled the heads a few days ago. Everything was in ship shape inside except for some rust flakes that fell into a few cylinders. Hardly any soot on anything. While I have the heads off I opened up the bottom end to install the girdle DSG sent me and do a main web check. Webs are all crack free, bearings look great, timing chain is tight, cylinders good, no piston skirt scuffs, new delphi short injectors, everything on this engine yells brand new or about as close as you can get to it. I don't want to reassemble things only to find the engine puffs out the breather tube. So I also removed the pistons for new rings and a de glazing.

Also going to chamfer the main bolt holes to eliminate any potential stress risers. Yes, I am whore when it comes to this stuff. ARP has also donated a head stud kit for the project. I figure with the overall condition of the engine, the girdle and head studs I am going to go ahead and further reduce any stress on the internal components by using the thicker 6.5 gaskets to drop the compression a point or two.

Tt will be a solid turbo ready engine when it's finished. [thumbzup]

WARWAG

I took my old truck in one time for a shop to do some work on it. I dont remember exactly what else I had them do but I also had them change the oil, oil filter and air filter. I went down to pick it up and they started it up in the stall they had done the work done in. clank clank clank and smoke. This all in a matter of seconds and he shut it down. This was a chevy 3500 with a 350 v8. Well after the pulled they heads off they found a small nut that had "some how" fell into the engine. Yah, some how. Such a small bolt and so much damage. They rebuilt it reluctantly but rebuild it they did. I sold it soon after but it did run better than it did before the rebuild.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

ANOTHER WARNING FOR YOU GUY'S. PULL YOUR PANS TOO!!

Being the clean freak I am, I thought i'd drop the crank to keep things clean during the cylinder deglazing and washing thereafter. In pulling the main caps I noticed 1 main cap bolt was only torqued to half it's specified rating. This caused the crank to wipe out few flakes of bearing material down to the copper. No crank damage fortunately and everything looks cherry, once again my need to be as thorough as possible has saved me a lot of heartache.

I also found some flakes of metal missing on piston 7's top edge. Possible crack starting so it is going to be replaced.

Other than that, new rings are on the way and I might as well replace all the bearings now. Cam looks brand new, the valve train on these motors appear to always be in great shape.

Murphy?

I've found that if a friend needs to do something important, all they need to do is have me work on my old computer. Murphy is so busy laughing at me he never notices my friend working on his project. :)

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL... can you work some extra time please, while we all are on our way to the big meeting.... 12SSGR ! :)

TIA!

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks