• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in my new (to me) M1009

ssdvc

So, it's been raining here on and off for the past week. Sometimes pretty hard. I hopped in the 09 the other day and I found some water on the floor, on both side of the truck, up front. I know my heater core is leaking, slowly and I have planned a replacement.

I wiped the water up and didn't think anything of it. Well, I got in her today and there was a bit more than last time on the floor. I reached up under the dash and the lip at the bottom of the dash frame (the metal) closet to the driver, was wet.

My question is, has anyone else had this issue and where was the water coming from (and what can be done to abate it). I will be going under the dash when I get time, but I am just trying to get a head start on this. And yeah, I know it's an old Army truck, but I like my rides dry and water under the dash with all that electrical stuff just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy !!

Thanks !

5ton4ever

Have someone get out the garden hose and spray it down from the outside, you get inside and follow it upstream. It could be leaking from anywhere. dashboard to windshield, firewall, vent windows are a suspect. Door seals? Good Luck.:-D P.S. mine only leaks when it rains.

ssdvc

It coming from up under the dash somewhere. Doors are dry, as is around the windshield. And, believe it or not, the vent windows are holding back the tide. There is a little water in the back, on the drivers side, but I think I found out where that is coming from.

Hasdrubal

I've found that water usually enters in the front from the lip that the windshield rubber seals to. There are two drain holes, one at each corner, if they get plugged, the water will go over the lip. Quite a bit of water runs down the underside of the windshield rubber. Usually these holes are found to be clear of any obstruction.

If you have some minor rust forming on the lip, it allows the water to seep thru your previously good seal, get up over the lip and down on your floor. If you get a light and look up, you can usually see where it drips from.

Its quite easy to re&re. I put some silicone sealant in the rubber seal channel that goes onto the lip for extra protection.

As for the side vents. I've never seen a leak here as its dry inside above the vent hole due to the trucks construction.

ssdvc

All good tips, thank you. I am going to be checking it out thoroughly this weekend. I don't care if she is an old war horse or not, I am not having water coming inside the "people tank" !!! It just ain't right !!

I removed the wipers and front vent. the water was getting in from a seam down in there. The body seam sealer was cracked. I picked up seam seal at napa and all fixed. Also the problem with the kick vents. Foam seal on back dryed out. Used foam seal 1/2 inch on a roll from home depot .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks