• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird problem-need some advice fast

shortydooo222

In short negative terminal of second battery melted, starter now only clicks, all lights work, don't know what the problem is I need advice

For detailed account read on

So I went out to run some errands in my 09, it is my daily drive. After coming out of the store I went to start my truck and the starter made a clicking noise as if the battery was dead but all my lights still were working fine. I went under the truck to see if maybe the wires on the starter were lose,they were all good. I followed all wires from the starter, I realized that the terminal(negative) on the battery closest to the firewall had almost completely melted and also melted the connector on the battery wire. I towed it home and replaced the battery and the battery wire/connector. The starter is now making a weaker clicking noise but wont turn over I was wondering what the problem could be, my next thought is to replace the starter. Any help would be very much appreciated thank you

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you done the doghead starter relay mod?

Just a guess, but if not, your starter relay could have stuck on and taken out the starter and the rear battery terminal. You will still have lights and such since they are 12 volts and get their power from the front battery.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You lost my interest with the title.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is stuck, the starter just keeps spinning. Once the engine is running you might not be able to hear it. If that is indeed what happened, when you replace the starter do the relay mod as well. It only takes about 20 minutes or so to do and it is a much better relay then the stock one. The CUCV FAQ thread I believe has a link to the thread detailing the mod. Or a very quick search for "doghead relay" should turn up hundreds of threads about it.

Edit:

No need to even look that far, one of the stickies at the top of the CUCV forum is the relay mod. Reading these forums gives you a much better understanding of your vehicle and might have saved you the cost of a new starter. I'm not saying that is what caused your starter/battery issue, but it is the most likely culprit.

Also, just by reading the first post you made about the symptoms of your dilemma it is pretty clear you might want to do some more studying about the truck and it's electrical systems to become familiar with the special 12/24 volt relationship on these vehicles

Last edited:

shortydooo222

Thanks I have been doing some reading and i definetly will be doing the the relay modification. And youre also right as much reading as i do on these forums i always find that there is something new to learn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks