• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well blew another head gasket :(

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HA! I don't know where you guy's got the idea that I would re-use head gaskets? But thanks LOL!:beer: However I called ARP, and the studs are re-usable. I'll need some of their tread sealer & torque lube.
The last line of post #32 makes it sound like your just cleaning everything and putting it back together.

[ I think I'm going to just clean it up real good and put it all back together, but dry this time. ]

cucvrus

Hate my way. But I would still have the heads checked out. But I would also throw the studs away and put new torque to yield Felpro bolts on the engine and call it a day. Yes of course new gaskets. But like Burger King. All we ask is to let you have it your way. I never had a second head gasket failure on the same engine and I change the head gaskets at this point in time as regular maintenance items. That is on every CUCV I take down to the frame or remove the engine from. I have a set of heads being redone for my current M1009 project. I don't even know if the engine needs them. But experience tells me they are old and weak at the water jackets and compression seals. I have the engine on the bench and the frame out from under the truck. Changing head gaskets is a walk in the park at this point. But do have the heads checked at a reputable machine shop. OK I said it. Do or do not. There is no try. Good Luck either way.

Drock

Well finally got it back together last night. Drove it for a test run last night, and all over town today. I damaged my temp gauge sensor so that's not working. But so far no pressurization of the coolant system[thumbzup]. Sense I found no obvious signs of failure in the gasket or cracks in the heads, block, or cylinders. Best guess to the problem was one or more theories I have (#1) The copper gasket sealer failed causing a gap, thus leak. (#2) I found one of the head studs loose, soo maybe? (#3) After torqueing the heads down this time, I went back and did a re-torque. And found the center 4 nut were 1/4 turn loose. So perhaps I didn't do a re-torque the first time:shrugs:? Anyway tomorrow I'll see if I can repair or replace the temp gauge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks