• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you say?

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went for a late afternoon drive and decided to measure the noise level inside the M1097A2. At 35mph, the noise level was 87db and at 55mph, 94db. So, hearing loss is possible within approximately 2 hours @ 35mph and within 50 minutes @ 55mph. Guess that little yellow "Caution - hearing protection required" sticker above the windshield is correct.
- HoveringHMMWV

IMG_6433.JPG

MattNC

And you have overdrive which should take the noise down, right? I can only imagine what I’m at with my 3spd at 55 mph. I bought an intercom system with headsets with a 24 dB protection in the fall and use them now regularly. Previous to that was foam earplugs for long distance.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I use noise canceling headphones.

I bought a cheap set on Amazon, but the new iPhone headphones also noise canceling well.

911joeblow

I use noise canceling headphones.

I bought a cheap set on Amazon, but the new iPhone headphones also noise canceling well.
A lot of states will not allow headsets while driving as a function of safety.

Heat/Sound proofing materials (Dynamat or similar) will change your HMMWV from a rattle box to a half way decent ride. We do that here as standard operating procedure!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A lot of states will not allow headsets while driving as a function of safety.

Heat/Sound proofing materials (Dynamat or similar) will change your HMMWV from a rattle box to a half way decent ride. We do that here as standard operating procedure!
Please send pictures of what you do to soundproof. Where you place dynamat and such. Thanks

Last edited:

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for heat and soundproofing, I'm all for that. But I personally don't want to use a permanent modification. Would be interested to hear more about other non-permanent ways to reduce the noise level. I think a lot of my vehicle's noise at speed is coming from the stock Goodyear MT's.
- HoveringHMMWV

MattNC

911 if you can I also would like to hear pointers on where to add sound proofing for the best effect. I aim to do that sometime but the headsets are holding me over until I get to it, especially since I have kids often riding along and I don’t want to harm their hearing as well.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
If you need dummy headsets (non powered), I’ve found good ones at True Value, Lowe’s, Ranch stores and others. Pretty inexpensive and hearing will greatly appreciate reducing the noise. One problem I’ve had with the little ones is their insistence on not wearing them.