• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What does this mean?? Found some fluid drips *pic*

AGE|kshaufl

:ditto:

:deadhorse:Please do not drive it till it is fixed. A brake failure in these vehicles is a recipe for disaster.\

Look at the rubber brake line first. If there is any sign of fluid coming from it replace it immediately.

I am guessing the brake line by where the fluid is.

oddshot

Unless the metal brake line has developed a pinhole that would appear to be, as already suggested, a leaking flexible brake hose. They are pretty inexpensive and if one has gone the others may not be far behind.

You'll be bleeding the brakes anyway so for the time and money that you might spend replacing them one at a time, I'd recommend that you order all of the flex hoses and just get it over with.
Yet another good word of advice.

Let me add ... just in the off chance that this IS a wheel cylinder ...

Do ALL of them at once.

Its false economy to do just one at a time.

oddshot

BimmerPower

Banned
Whoa thanks for all the replies. Since the truck developed the brake issue last year, it has not been driven off my property. I assumed it was an airpack issue and planned on swapping the airpack and master cylinder come warm weather (due to my lack of a big enough garage). I have not checked to see if it is brake or gear oil, I just assumed it was brake related. Nice to see another CT member too!

Rustygears

You get an 'A' for not driving a truck with intermittent brakes. You get another 'A" for visual inspection and asking before driving! Have a look under the truck at the duals as well for more leaks. I usually find that trouble occurs in sets. If you have one bad wheel cylinder, replace them all. You have a truck that's 40+ years old and all those rubber based hydraulic components deteriorate. It's cheap insurance on a single circuit brake system to PM by replacing all the cylinders and hoses. They're also readily available and cheap. So is the master cylinder.

An easy way to check if this is brake fluid or axle fluid is, of course, the smell test, and removing the inner bolts (towards the pumpkin) of the mud guard. The holes for the bolts are open to the cavity in the axle body. If nothing comes out, poke in the holes with a screwdriver, to remove a piece of gunk or grease that might sit on top of the threaded hole. If there is excess fluid in the body, it will drain out (be prepared!). That's an indicator for a leaking inner axle seal. Been there....

I won't comment on the brake issue... (enough opions on that)

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

February 16th, 2011.

Any chance its the slobber pipe dripping on the axle? My M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare" was tagged by a commercial truck shop guy in January 2008 as having a leaking wheel cylinder because of that... So far she has been driven about 8,0000 miles with only a slight top up of the master cylinder and the brakes work. However, when parked on a side slope with the right side down hill and idled much, the slobber pipe always drips on theaxle and then the diesl runs down towards that end! Kaiser jeep, masterfully engineered to run and run and run....:beer:

However, She's still looking for a home in Texas, anyone!:sad:

Flyingvan911

I'd say just pull the wheel off and see where the leak comes from. It will either trail down from the brake cylinder or from the axle/hub. Either way, the wheel has to come off to fix the problem.

BimmerPower

Banned
Well some warm weather finally came my way and upon driving the deuce around the property for a short time and then inspecting things, I saw this. It is definitely gear oil and appears to be coming from the boot of the axle. What was a drip is now gushing out when I turn the wheel fully to the right. Now I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, but have never worked on one of these before. Where can I get the parts and information on changing one of these bad boys out?

Thanks for all the help and opinions by the way. You guys are all a plethora of knowledge! :deadhorse: :beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Information is covered in the TM's a link has already been posted for free downloads , did you download them?
any of the MV parts houses will have the parts ,as will e-pay .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks