• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for in used M35a2?

Ateamcycles

I did a search and maybe I'm doing something wrong because nothing popped up.
going to look at 3 deuces for sale. What should I be looking for in a good used M35A2?
Also what do batteries cost just in case they need them.
Thanks

Kevin

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Batteries can range up to $400-500 each, depending on who the seller is and where you buy them, they can also cost less than $100. Having said that, it's the cold cranking amp rating that makes a deuce battery (or most any truck battery) different from the ones found in cars. Big trucks need big batteries to get them started.

wsucougarx

Things I looked for in a deuce: "D" engine w/D turbo, airshift front axle, low miles/hours, driver seat type (spring), heater, engine/tranny/transfer case leaks, axle fluid check (color & level), tranny/transfer case fluid, antifreeze (any oil), engine oil (water), drain the primary fuel filter (any debri or rust), clutch/brake freeplay, throttle return spring, leaky hubs, obvious rust, steering wheel freeplay, uneven tire wear on fronts, brake fluid level check, fuel tank check for debri/goop/water/rust, flip on accessory switch to make sure intank fuel pump is working, check all lights, check belts, kick tires, thats all I can think of :p

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The D-turbo is a matter of preferance (I like to hear the C-turbo talk myself :-D).

I've also heard that some people like the extra room the box seat offers over the spring seat. I don't have a very big belly so I like the softer ride of the springer.

papercu

First, I always look to see if someone has left a MG behind. Second, I would like for it to crank up, other than that I don't care. O yeah if it doesn't crank up that's not a deal breaker. Wayne
BTW Park on a hill, you won't need batteries

Last edited:

poppop

I run two Interstate group 24 Blems in mine for $40.00 each. I like the stainless steel stud posts as they are easier to keep clean and tight. But I live in Ga, so it does not get real cold here.

mbwarner

I've run mine consistently on Walmart's 29 batteries, which have always cranked rapidly in cold weather. Problem is, those batteries are about 45 bucks now.

Also, when I picked up my new deuce at Ft. Lewis in September, it fired like it had new batteries in it. When I got home, I looked and discovered that it had two automotive variety Optima Red Top gel batteries that had been installed in 1997. They're 11 years old and still going strong! When it's battery time for another truck, I'm considering getting gel batteries. They have a couple of side benefits over standard plate type batteries, in tha they're supposed to be less sensitive to vibration, and have a slower self-discharge rate.

PsycoBob

AGM and Gel cells are very different. Exide Orbital and Optima are very similar: both are AGM spiral-wound batteries, and both do very well at whatever they're labled for.

AGM's have a glass felt-like material that's 'damp' with acid. According to manufacturer data AGM's are somewhat self-regulating; hold it at 13.8-14.1v and it'll suck as much amps as it wants to, even higher than c/2 in some batteries. There've been reports of Optimas killing some alternators. My car had an Exide Orbital rated @ 30A+ charge current. I even put an ammeter on it to check- 35A into the battery until the alt warmed up enough for output to drop to 13.8v. Please note that my old car had a hefty 130a alternator with heavy-duty electronics and upgraded wiring. :-D

The new Hawker Armasafe batteries are AGM, and I've not heard of any military alternators failing from them. I'm not sure if this is because of rating the alt to output max-rated power at max operating temp, or if the cars with failed alts just had poor alternators.:roll:

Gel batteries are cheaper, but have their own issues. I'm not sure if anyone makes automotive-style gel batts. If you charge a gel-cell battery too fast, hydrogen doesn't diffuse thru the gel and causes bubbles in the gel. Most of the voids never heal, and that section of plate is deprived of electrolyte. Unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise, charge current should be under c/10 rate.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks