• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White smoke on startup

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting thread. I would like to add a few more questions. I have white smoke on startup only when temperature is below around 38 degrees F. That may be a resultant of being able to see it more but it is very evident. Would this temperature observation point to one cause more than the other. IE would the smoke mainly on cold startup be more closely related to the head gasket or glow plugs?
amd may I add, you also loose coolant...eventually if it's a head gasket issue, as well you can look to see if you have bubbles in the overflow tank when you first start and it's cold. The 97-2000 6.5 turbo diesel has/had the #8 cylinder crack issue...this was evidenced by white smoke at startup, hard starting and bubbles in the overflow tank when cold...goes away when hot as the metal expands and the crack closes...eventually, it just goes.
ive done 2 motors in H1's in the last 4 mos in the shop....one was so bad that I drained 5 gallons from the crank case of water/oil mix....this from a customer who just kept adding water and not figuring it out...it was blowing water/oil out the exhaust pipe!

The GEP block fixed this issue...GM just lived with it till GEP bought out 6.5 production and fixed the casting issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks