• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch snatch block storage question

KsM715

I dont want to argue with recovery, but you lost me with that one. If the cable is not attatched back to the truck you cannot be increasing your pull. Would that not be the same as running the line thru the fixed block and then 90* out to the side? Please explain. Now I'm not saying I cant be wrong, I didnt believe you could pull a truck backwards with the front winch using pulleys but I was impressed when I saw it in action.

Bighurt

Sure you would as long as the anchor was beside the truck and immovable.

Can I suggest each of you download or purchase FM 20-22. It's a really good read.
I have and his description still presents only a mechanical advantage of one to one.

Unless you are taking to account the drag on the winch drum, then the more line you have out the higher the rating. In that I would agree.

KsM715

Recovery4x4, in your senario, where is the winch and where is the load? If you are using your truck/winch to winch out another vehicle and the snatchblock is attatched to the stuck vehicle and your winch line is attatched to an tree (immovable object) next to your truck (the one with the winch) then yes I see how you are getting a 2:1 pull. But if your truck is stuck, and your using your own winch for self recovery the you must run the line out and anchor it back to your truck to get a 2:1 pull, if you hook it back to a tree next to your truck your doing nothing better than simply hooking your winchline to the anchor point that the snatchblock is attatched to.

Is that what you meant?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I failed to be clear and see what you folks are saying. With the truck anchored and a 2 part line with the live end anchored to a fixed object besides the truck, the pull on the snatch block will nearly double. If you are working to free the truck with the winch, then it will not unless the cable live end is returned to the winch vehicle. Wished I could make those fancy images that G does with MS Paint.

stumps

Also if you run the cable out and attach the block to your anchor and then run it back to the truck you have a fixed block and have gained nothing on the pulling power of the winch. The ratio with fixed block is 1:1
Uhmmm, that is only half true ;-) .

Think of it this way: If your snatch blocks are frictionless, the cable has a tension "T" in it, no matter how many times it passes through the blocks.

If you pass the cable from the winch, to a fixed block on a tree, and back to the bumper anchor, you have two cables, each with tension "T" in them, pulling on the tree, and on your bumper. That is you have 2 times the winches force pulling on your bumper.

If instead of attaching the cable to your bumper, you attach a second snatch block to the bumper, and run the cable back to the tree, you then have three cables, each with tension "T" in them, pulling on the tree, and your bumper.

The process continues no matter how many snatch blocks you use.

The executive summary is: When using snatch blocks for straight pulls, count the number of times a cable goes between the two objects you are pulling together, and that is the force multiplier for your winch.

-Chuck

Note: The above is assuming the winch is mounted to the bumper of the truck being pulled.

Last edited:

rmgill

I mounted a 5 ton truck's right side tool box on the bed of my truck up at the head of the bed for those things I want to secure. I'm probably going to make some smaller tool boxes for under the sides of the bed now that I'm starting to weld. I have a lot of other things stored in the bed either tied down or rattling around in some corners between all the other tools I have in thed and what not. I'm kind of thinking I need to pull the cargo bed and fit a modified dropside bed with about 20 tool boxes mounted on the sides. :neutral:

Some of you who've seen the back of my Deuce know what I'm talking about.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you copy out of a .pdf file like that? Thats the exact pic I was looking at when I realized what recovery4x4 was saying.
Sometimes you can select the photo and right click and copy, but in this particular case, I hit print screen, pasted it into photoshop, and saved it as a .jpg.

Bighurt

Sometimes you can select the photo and right click and copy, but in this particular case, I hit print screen, pasted it into photoshop, and saved it as a .jpg.
That only works for certain setups. My muilti monitor screen setup exceeds the buffer, so I can't print screen and paste...

It was nice when I had the option...I'm at cap with mem. until I can find a pirate win64...

pwrwagonfire

We have a small shelf which was built over our left tank on our deuce at work. Fits extra cable, two snatch blocks and the rest of the recovery stuff minus the chains. We have those stored on the back bumper-ettes. In 4 years of driving the truck off road and on, never had problems with the stuff staying put.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This image (From FM 20-22) may help.
I was describing - and recovery 4x4 commented on - the second scenario from the top. Snatch block mounted to the load to be pulled (i.e. moving with the load). That means 5t pull on each STRAND of cable, for a total of 10t (minus friction etc.) on the snatch block and therefore the load. It is immaterial whether the end of the cable is attached back to your own truck or another fixed object beside your truck.

Sorry...I did not mean to spark a discussion about recovery and winch physics with my remark, but it turns out to provide useful info to some members!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks