• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3053 trans, OD or not?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recht71 said:
.... they all say the 3053a has a .85 fifth that were I got my info.
For that reason I posted the pics.
Taking gears in my hands and counting the teeth.... that's where I get my info!

I suggest you to do the same, so we all know better...

G.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the info about 3053 trans is wrong. all have .78 od, all take the same parts. the A does not mean it is a different trans, just some small change`, but not gearing. do 5 tons have 6.72 final drives and 9:00x20 tires?? it seems to me that the deuce already has 28% od which is not very much

what say you gerhard, what % is .78 to 1

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
100 div. 0.787106 = 127.0477 (to be exact... :) )

For every 100 engine revs. we have 127 (or we gain 27) at the output shaft, IMHO that's 27% od.
If we hook up another aux. tranny also with 27%, we had 127 div. 0.79 = 161 which is 61% od!!:shock:

Don't forget to check the flaps and don't fly to high! :lol:

G.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
maybe we need two engines to turn this?? i think the problem begins with not enough research, and with bad info available. so let me do the math, if this is in a bobbed deuce, with the fuel turned up scary high, and on very level road, this is doable, barely. good to be going down a little hill, 2500 rpm will give 68.8 mph. on any small incline you will never see 2500..........

Tanner

Offroadfabworks said:
I was under the impression that 3053's were 1:1 in 5th, with the 3053A being a .8- something in 5th... but then, I remembered that I don't do impressions...

Make room for me, Offroad.... and don't hog ALL the popcorn this time!

:popcorn:

"Tanner"

Recht71

Tom I think its great you changed your mind that it might work and mybe get 68.8 mph at 2500 .from your May 3rd post it won't work To much od and May 4th post (Go ahead and try it you will have a differnt story) I was going over my poor reseach and bad imfo I collected before I started has you said. Heck I figured It would do 55 at 2500 before I started. Put what I figure was a 17% over drive behind the tranfer. .17x55 = 9.35 add that to 55 = 64.35 mph at 2500.alot simpler then your math. I thought 68.8 mgh was great cause you did the math .You keep saying the duce will never go 75 mph . I said from the begining I didn't know how fast it would go ,hoping for more then 64mph. Now the two gun trucks do 75 .It's one thing to talk the talk and another thing is to do it.By the way It's not bobbed and the fuel isn't turn up scary high.This morning I went to the shop strapped the bed put a box in the front too sit on and off I went. truck ran good came back called my friend to follow me to see what it will do_Of coarse the speedo wouldn't be right can you believe I new that.. trip to Orland IN a small town the road is flat up and down moderate hill The North east corner of IN is very hilly.the wildthings been down the road alot going to the Legion West of Orland it flat as pancake. the bottom line is the truck runs 66mph at 2600 it did fine on the hills as good has our 5 ton and on the flat a little over 2700 68.So thanks for all your smart remarks about two engines and your other know it all Gerhard smart remarks ,maybe you should try an Aux then you can talk facts.I don't how many time in my life some one like you two said it won't work or can't be done It's good to know there's good supporting people like you two on th site Now guys they will probably say I'm not telling it like it is . The truck will be at the Welcome Home For Vietnam Vets in july 2nd thru the 6th Auburn IN this is the first one East of the Mississippi it national and non-Profit I'm sure some of you site members will be there Look for the WildThing and the The ACE .I know there will be a dozen or so That I Know about. Will be more then welcome to go for a ride. Any other members want all the spec's and What I did to the engine I'll be more then happy to get it to you . It's not that hard . And I don't want any payment.My e-mail is on an earlier post. Sorry I had to vent those two know it alls trip my trigger . They couldn't keep from running there smart mouths shows character. I'll be posting picture when the truck is done. I also will tell you the rpm drop between 4th and 5th not as much as I thought. Darrel and Tanner I decided Last night to do this monring so you guys wouldn't eat to much popcorn Randall Recht

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mr. Recht(haber): I wish I knew much more and could learn from you too… some of us just prefer to read confirmed specs, not confusing data and numbers here. We also like to hear success stories from other members and…we appreciate correct spelling, btw…

No one said 66mph@2600rpm wouldn’t be possible with a turned up Multifuel. And according to your results what you added is an additional 12% od (0.90:1) to the already existing 27% (0.79:1) of the stock tranny in 5th, which makes for a 0.71:1 or 41% combined.

G.

Recht71

G were not as perfect up here in Ind. My first post I said I had to turn up the fuel. I might not spell good looks like you can't read ! You two know it all's can't even agree on the 5th gear spec there must be alot of differnt trans out there . 12 or so sites say .85 but you say .79.and it also a.78 Have you told Tom he wrong and I guess if anybody disagrees with you ,you bad mouth what there doing .You said it won't work!!!!!!! you were wrong!!!!!( You said I should put flaps on it) I said from the start I did some things to the motor . I'm putting a spoiler on it to hold the rear end down. You might as well run your mouth about alot of others on the site that don't spell as prefect as you.I hope you did learn something . But you did do the math .I can tell your one thats never wrong. This project did turn out good . Good thing I didn't ask your opinion before I started. Thanks for all your wrong info Your something else now I have a .41% od.or is it a .61od don't bother to answer. Did ever come to you that this trans might be a .85 5th Not you know it all Cause you got a picture .I guess the bottom line is I used the data I found and it did better then expected . Randall Recht

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
well, i'm glad it worked out for you. had you given the true specs of the aux you were using, we would have told you that it would work in the first place. there is no subsitute for knowing what you are working with, and no reason not to plan a project and that includes the math, not just guessing.

Recht71

Why would I need to give you the spec ,On your may3rd post you know all about the 5831 ,6041 and 7041.and you said the 7041 was to much od.I did plan my project and my imfo. And it works better then expected.Your right about one thing ,there is no subsitution for knowing what your working with.getting alot of imfo and going ahead with what you feel is the best .I'm sure glad you weren't involved .I told it like it was from my first post .You didn't agree with my % which is ok .You were all over the place. (It won't work ,you'll need two engines, It might work you'll go 68.8 at 2500 ) Please don't tell me I don't know what I'm Talking about. I've gathered alot of imfo on this site and sorted through it and do what I think will work never once would bad mouth someone's project.like you did .It's ok not to agree on stuff it time to go on now I've had enough it works And I will pass the imfo along later that I found that works best. Randall Recht

Driver523

Great job Randy---And I agree that all info was put out there for everyone to see, I also agree that instead of talking this over and a couple trying to help--they just jumped in with it won't work, and then proceeded to tell every reason it wouldn't, now I can go back and highlight every point to show them what you said and a DAMN good hint that if a multi is brought up to 5 ton specs it should carry more gear but in their hearts they know, and I'm sure others that have been reading this know the answer is simple--They were wrong and you were right--it allways seem that when one ( or two ) people stick their foot in their mouths they always come up with some excuse ( or two ). I was more then ready to aplogize if that dog didn't hunt and I damn sure would have but then again I'm not selling gear sets and more then likly not wanting the members of this site to know that a truck can be brought up to speed for not that much, these aux. boxes also known as brownie boxes are made by Dana, Spicer, Fuller and Dana Spicer to name a few, they were used in lots of trucks like grain trucks, dump trucks even over the road tractors, if you search them out they can be had cheap, if you do your own work--again not that much--and OD like in the Dana Spicer 7231-A at 25% or 26 % can be had---And lastly I think the claim of <deluding> is not at the hands of Randy but at the hands of others I would also go as far as adding "misinformation" and maybe for profit, and the cheap shot on the spelling thing--well---just cheap---The offer still stands though--COME TO PIGEON FORGE AND RIDE A REALLY FAST GUN TRUCK---and if this post don't stir things up we'll talk about the 5 ton Mack that soon will be at speed and at only around 2100 RPM--And I DARE you to tell me it can't be done------I was on this site years ago and not much since but I tried it again and am glad to see just how much its grown, I'll be around much more now---Great job on the site to all involved and most everyone-----Driver---( hope my spelling is ok )

Driver523

There you go again---we're talking MACK--more horse power and tons more torque---ya know?---why don't you just give up?----Yer wrong----get out of your box and get into the real world---IT CAN REALLY BE DONE--------That pencil is only as good as the one pushin it around---get yer hands dirty--get out and if it don't work---make it work---you got words and they failed--we got iron and it works---sorry about your luck----Driver---oh yeah---you should maybe think about some charm school lessons-----LOL

Driver523

Hint--A Mack tranny is only a Mack tranny--nothing above the norm--IF you take a Mack tranny and compare it to a Multi fuel tranny or put it behind a multi fuel then you may say it has 25% overdrive---But a Mack tranny in a Mack is just a Mack tranny ( being the norm ) there is no military overdrive tranny for a Mack---There's another thing for everyone to think about that wants to bring their 5 ton multi fuels up to speed--the Mack tranny--quick and simple, put in the Mack tranny--turn the fuel up just enough to get down the road--no sweat---and the fuel is not turned up scary high----Driver

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Driver523 said:
There you go again---we're talking MACK--more horse power and tons more torque---ya know?---why don't you just give up?----Yer wrong----get out of your box and get into the real world---IT CAN REALLY BE DONE--------That pencil is only as good as the one pushin it around---get yer hands dirty--get out and if it don't work---make it work---you got words and they failed--we got iron and it works---sorry about your luck----Driver---oh yeah---you should maybe think about some charm school lessons-----LOL
this whole discussion has been about multifuel engines and the od trans that come behind them. the 3053 has 27% od and if you were to put a 26% od box behind that it would be too much. if you are now saying that you are comparing mack powered 5 tons to multifuel deuces then of course the mack has more power, lots more, so how can you compare them?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey gentleman, lets bring this to an end and return to the friendly and cordial atmosphere we had before Mr. Recht appeared on board. I think we have drifted to far apart from m16y’s original question. He’s had a valid answer already.

Besides that, everybody has “the right to be wrong”!
I apologize for the inconvenient yoke about flying deuces…

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks