• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

33" tires on M1009 CUCV

dave wells

i am running a 33x12.50 on 15x 8 rim they are hercules trail diggers and the do great off road and on road........... they are on a 08 an they fit stock as far as gearin i actuallly have the same as a 09 because i pulled axles off of a 09 an put them on a 08 but the 09 gearin is good it does just fine

Barrman

SeeBee Mike,
Do you mean the tie rod boot or possibly the drag link boot? Ball joint boot on the steering knuckle would be kind of hard for a tire to get to.

I have 33 x 12.50 BFG A/T tires on mine and they aren't even close to toughing any part of the steering system. Are you sure you have stock rims? Might want to check the U bolts that hold your axle to your leaf springs too. Or, the locator pin in the middle of the spring perch on the axle. While you are at it, check and make sure your leaf spring bushings are still there. Seems to me that your front axle is wandering side to side some.

seabee mike

OK guys. I meant to say it was hitting on the drag link joint. front of the tire on the drivers side.

I have Goodyear wrangler dura trac tires in 33x12.5 x 15 . The rims are 8'' or I was told so by the tire guy. the came from the army just like that. I have looked for movement on the axle and I don't see any sign but who knows for sure. I will mostly drive on road but could see a dirt road and mud. Mainly for fun and looks right now.

I've got 33/12.5/15 Firestone Destination M/T's on my stock wheels. I have a 2 inch rough country lift though. I dont THINK these tires will fit because of the aggressive lugs( they will be fine for on road use, but you MIGHT run into some minor rub when you're at full tilt). However, not all 33's are truly 33's. These firestones are 32 5/8 tall. If this is strictly a pavement queen, you can probably get away with a A/T 33 inch tire. Like the fellers said before me, a lot depends on the condition of your springs. My springs were tired and wore out. The 2 inch suspension lift springs are exactly flat when the vehicle weight is on it. The stock springs are about an inch reversed...

The 2 inch lift was well worth it IMO. My springs were SHOTTTTTT. My 09 rides like a cadillac now that I have new springs and tires! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/65439-m1009-before-after.html

1. What size/brand/tread 33" tires are you using? Firestone Destination M/T 33/12.50/15
2. How would you rate the road & offroad performance? Off-road performance is great. On road-they are noisy. noisy is an understatement!
3. With stock gearing, were your disappointed with acceleration/perfomance? Not at all disappointed. Because of the increase in tire size, my MPG on the highway went from 22 to 23.5-24 MPG! I know it isnt much, but that little drop in RPM at highway speed (62-65 MPH) will save ya some $$ in the long run.
4. Was any tire rubbing evident? Did you trim the fenders? N/A
5. Please share any other words of wisdom you feel is relevant.

rjinga

If you have/had 33" tires on a M1009 (stock rims), could you answer these questions and post any pics here that you might have?

1. What size/brand/tread 33" tires are you using?
2. How would you rate the road & offroad performance?
3. With stock gearing, were your disappointed with acceleration/perfomance?
4. Was any tire rubbing evident? Did you trim the fenders?
5. Please share any other words of wisdom you feel is relevant.

Thanks in advance.
1. Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs. 33x12.50x15
2. I don't know what "road &amp" is, but they ride nicely on the pavement. Just enough growl when coasting to remind you that they aren't mall terrain tires. This is my first 4X4, and I've only had it since May, but I've been out at least 4 times in the mud and on the hills and I like the tires so far.
3. I bought it with worn-out 33" on it to start with, so I don't know any different. Are M1009 known for their acceleration in the 1st place? ;-)
4. I did have a little rubbing on the inside of the front passenger-side wheel well when making a sharp right turn with flex. I went ahead and got the 2" lift I wanted anyway instead of trimming.
5. Never pet a burning dog. rofl

Photos are tires without and then with 2" Rough Country lift.

Attachments

Darky

I'm looking into the possibility of buying an M1009, most likely from 100dollarman since he's local and gets them in, and then parting my Cherokee to fund the purchase/build.

I'd likely stick with 33s at first, since I could steal them from my Jeep, and do a 4" lift. Rough Country actually sells the 4" for less than the 2" for some reason. Plus, I have intentions of later getting HMMWV tires and recentered HMMWV wheels, so the 4" ought to provide clearance along with some trimming.

With 33s and stock axles, how do they hold up to wheeling? I do mostly trails and rocks in my Jeep and would expect the Blazer to take over that job. How is the power for towing? Ya never know, I may just keep the Jeep and have both...:D Plus, even with just the 1009, I'd still want to buy a M101 or 105 trailer to haul trash, hay, work stuff, camp stuff, etc etc.

Barrman

Old Ag and I wheeled our 33" tired M1009's a good bit at the March Rally in College Station. Low range on the tcase made hills that looked impossible just a matter of point and push. I was very impressed with it off road. We had a pair of M715's with us and they had more trouble on the hills than we did. We were able to weave around trees and stuff without thought while they had to do 3 point turns on a few.

Pulling my M101 trailer without the canvas on it is effortless and very stable. Adding the cargo cover and a good head wind is another story. I couldn't pull more than 52 mph on some parts of the drive to the Rally going into a 30 knot head wind on pretty flat roads.

Technically, the 101 trailer is considered too big and heavy for the 1009. I have never even thought about hooking up one of my 105 trailers to it. First off, the pintle is too low. As in you will need at least 1 other person if not 2 just to hook it up. Then the 2700 pound empty 105 trailer will be angled down enough at the front that anything in the bed will just roll forward to put even more weight on the overloaded pintle. Add in no brakes or ways to hook up the air over hydraulic 105 brakes. The 105 is a 24V trailer and the 1009 is a 12v truck so the lights won't work in daylight either. Go with a 416 or 101 trailer and no bigger.

The most I have ever pulled with my 1009 is about 3000 pounds and it did not like any elevation change. The 3.08:1 gears just really don't allow for it. The short wheel base increases the pucker/safety factor as well.

If you want to tow, get a 1008. If you want to tow fast, add in a 700R4. If you want to wheel, keep the Jeep or get a 1009.

Darky

For me towing would be an occasional thing, and likely the heaviest load would be a trailer full of hay or maybe dirt/gravel. I originally wanted a 1028, but this needs to be a family camping/wheeling rig. With the 1028, I would've kept the Jeep and wheeled that, but still need to get the family where we're going.

I have a standard cab 73 Ford truck with a camper right now, and it's a bit of a disappointment. In order to take it camping and the Jeep wheeling, we have to drive both. Definitely not fitting 5 in a standard cab truck. :)

I figure the typical camping load with an M1009 would be the trailer (416 or 101) with a lid and roof top tent on top and gear inside. I'd upgrade the axles as well, probably find 1028 or 1008 axles for it to handle the towing load as well as the eventual 37" HMMWV takeoffs.

I was unaware the 105 was so much bigger, definitely crossing that off the potential list. Don't know why I didn't think of the 416, a friend tows one with his Cherokee and it seems to do pretty good, the M1009 should handle one easy. I may hold out and look for one of them.

REDWOLF

I am running 33x 12.5 procomp crawlers on stock wheels with just a addaleav in the front to level out the truck from the sag of the old springs and heavy 6.2. I have had no rubbing problem and i still can spin the tires in 2 wheel drive on loose ground. I would not get the procomp crawlers again tho i spen to much time on the road and they sre being eat up by the black top. See my avatar for the pic.

Hightechken

I put a set of 31X11.50 super mudder type tires on my M1009, They dont even come close to rubbing.... But they do howl going down the road! If I drove it every day I would not go with the really big lug tires.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks