• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 turning over, but not starting.

AJMBLAZER

Eh, I'd say this is a good forum for them as they are a military modification of a civilian Chevy truck. Different than the CUCV's but at the same time this is about the only forum that deals well with the military Chevy trucks.

www.ColoradoK5.com would be another good forum for the Chevy truck aspect of things but might be slow on the tug specific stuff.

AJMBLAZER

Ummm...they tend to leak oil from the main seals as they're 20+ years old and the seals were sorta old tech then.

The CDR valve could use a replacement but you already knew that.

Really just drive it and see how it goes. Ask questions after that. Hard to say what could be wrong without symptoms. Might be great.

Lonesome715

After seeing how clean and complete the engine area is, I am not sure if I want to start changing things. I had planned on adding some bolt on power but I do not know now. I do still plan to biuld a suspesnion though.

AJMBLAZER

1956, do a search for my name and an air intake. I came up with something similar for mine this summer. Works well.

Lonesome, do a search on the internet as several of the tugs have been built into offroad toys all over the country. I've seen them with everything from plain ol' 73-87 GM lift springs to custom coils and air bag setups with multiple links.

trukhead

Resurrecting this ancient thread..........

Resurrecting this ancient thread because I have the same problem with a different solution.

The engine turns over but no joy unless I hold the accelerator somewhat open, at least to the 1100-1400 rpm range.

I allow the glow plugs to cycle a few times and I hold the accelerator somewhat open, at least to the 1100-1400 rpm range, and Shazzam, CUCV's snaps to attention and purrs like a big fat kitten on mama at dinner time, smooth running.

However it takes a good number of starter revolutions to fire, contrary to other CUCV's that seem to have prime and fire at nearly 3/4 of the first starter revolution and settle in to smooth running operation.

I will check the pressure switch in the filter base as well as hose connections.

I will be diagnosing and reporting to this or other threads to share what I have gained in regards to the esteemed and supa- dupa CUCV. Share and share alike the knowledge to make owning, maintaining and repairing these an easier experience.

Whaddya think is harshin my mellow and makin CUCV's hard to start?

Hopefully not :deadhorse: but :grd::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Barrman

Glow plugs, fuel and compression.

You say it runs great once started, so lets say the compression is good.

You didn't mention if this is on the first start of the day or every start of the engine hot or cold. If it is just the first start then glow plugs and fuel filter base should be looked at. If it is every start, Ip and starter moter pop into my mind. Slow starter speed make the engine have to wind up for 5-10 seconds.

More info please.

trukhead

Glow plugs, fuel and compression.

You say it runs great once started, so lets say the compression is good.

You didn't mention if this is on the first start of the day or every start of the engine hot or cold. If it is just the first start then glow plugs and fuel filter base should be looked at. If it is every start, Ip and starter moter pop into my mind. Slow starter speed make the engine have to wind up for 5-10 seconds.

More info please.
The engines restart immediately when warm, (restarts after 5 minute shutoffs), the starters have very fast starting rpms.

I am going to test the glowplugs first for continuity and resistance versus being burnt out and shorted or an open circuit. I will then check the pressure switch in the filter base for being cracked and leaking air.

I am diagnosing 2 CUCV's with the above issues and comparing them to 2 CUCV's that start up and Purr.

Once running all the engines run so very smooth I can't believe they are diesels.

I thank you for your help and Ideas and I will post results with the hope for continued contributions of ideas so others may benefit from this and other threads.

[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks