• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ARB locker modification?

blakeke

It seems to me that a deuce on the highway would only need 2 wheel drive with an open diff for better fuel economy, is there a way to change an ARB air locker on one of the rear axles from an open/locked to a free spinning/locked. That way you could have 2 wheel drive with minimal scrubbing, then if you need traction you could lock in the rear 2 diffs (maybe with the same air that engages the transfer case). If you needed a bit more than that lock in the front lock out hubs for an open diff on the front and locked rear diffs. I'm not a mechanic or an off road guy, but my deuce loses traction a lot when I'm in the woods, and that set up, if possible would seem both convenient and good for on road handling and mileage. Just locked rear diffs would get me plenty of traction 80% of the time I bet, if I was feeling rich I could replace the front diff with a locked one, but it seems a lot of money for the one front wheels worth of traction, if it comes down to that I'd perhaps be using the winch anyhow. Or do 2 open ARB lockers on the back not effect mileage enough to be worth the bother trying to modify one?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You would need to put a lock out on the rear axle to get the free spin-axle. The you just flip 2 switches for a locked axle.

blakeke

That would be one way of doing it, but you have to get out to engage the lock out hubs I think, and I thought it was harder to put lock out hubs on the rear axles. Flanges or splines or something, not cheap. If I was going to do it that way I'd just use one ARB air locker and a Detroit locker with lock out hubs for the same functionality but more cost(I think) and less convenience. That said, that's compared to something that I don't know is even possible or significantly more desirable than just two ARB diffs.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, you will need a different axle to use a lockout on a rear axle housing. I was just telling you how to get your free spinning axle.

There have been posts that indicate driving down the road using only one rear axle for power can damage your transmission. Might want to look into that too.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you will need a different axle to use a lockout on a rear axle housing. I was just telling you how to get your free spinning axle.

There have been posts that indicate driving down the road using only one rear axle for power can damage your transmission. Might want to look into that too.
I have been building 2 1/2 ton axles for 11 years and i have installed the ARB. You do not want one in the front axle, with manual steering and locked in you will brake your fingers tring to hold on to the steering wheel. Would work well in the tandems, but not on the road, off road only.

KsM715

is there a way to change an ARB air locker on one of the rear axles from an open/locked to a free spinning/locked.

No.

You would need to somehow disconect the pinion from the ring gear or ring gear from the spider gears in order to get a freewheeling diff without putting locking hubs on the ends of the axle shafts. ARB's (lockers in general) don't opperate that way.

blakeke

Hmmm. Thanks guys, I guess just 2 ARB's in the back is ideal enough then. Open diffs on the front with lock out hubs. Seems like the most bang for the buck.

spicergear

If you're going to throw on lockouts (and their price), and a pair of ARB's in the rear (and their price), slap a Detroit or Yukon in the front that way when the tandems are spinning on wet grass you'll still have the full front to pull it out. :mrgreen:

I have been building 2 1/2 ton axles for 11 years and i have installed the ARB. You do not want one in the front axle, with manual steering and locked in you will brake your fingers tring to hold on to the steering wheel. Would work well in the tandems, but not on the road, off road only.
How about on an A3 with the air assist steering, or better yet, hydro assist? Would a front ARB locker be ok then?

shannondeese

I have one I bought form the rear - Its mainly for the mud and snow and rocks on occassion . One thing about the rear is in my opinion you drive open til your stuck then flip the switch and back up -running the snow anyways . The front in the snow would put you in a ditch . I will post up pic's on the install .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks