• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Battery vs Bad Starter in Deuce

glcaines

I was convinced that I had a bad starter on my M35A3. The truck had always started very reliably and very quick. The last time I went to start it, the engine turned over about two revolutions and I heard a loud mechanically-sounding thump. The starter wouldn't turn over anymore, but you could hear the starter relay clicking. I turned on the headlights and they were fully bright. I also checked the SG of the electrolyte in the cells and all cells were good in both Interstate 6TL batteries. I always keep a Soneil Model 2404SX1 24V battery minder attached. I pulled all battery cables loose and although they looked very good, I cleaned them. Still no start. I then ran a battery jumper cable directly from the positive side of the batteries directly to the starter solenoid with no result. Due to the good SG and the headlights working brightly, I assumed that the starter had gone. Just to confirm that I still didn't have a battery problem, I used jumper cables attached to each battery separately, connected to the battery in my diesel VW Jetta. No result with the rear battery, but when connected in parallel with the front battery, the truck starts fine. Apparently, the battery is going open internally when under heavy load, but still provides enough power to fully light the headlights. These are the original Interstate 6TL batteries that came in the truck from the military. They are both marked 04/07, so they are both over 9 years old. Not bad performance for the batteries. This is similar experience with the Interstate 6TLs I had in my A2 when picked up. I've heard both good and bad stories concerning Interstate 6TLs, but I'm impressed with the longevity that I've experienced twice. I hate the high price, but I'm probably going with Interstate 6TLs again. It always pays to fully investigate a problem before assuming something is the cause.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very timely thread because my A2 is stopping after two slow revolutions as well. Another press on the starter button and it cranks over once more and starts (she starts very easily). I have not yet investigated but my 5 year old civy batteries are likely on their way to battery heaven.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good morninig Gary. I think I would give credit to your maintenance regimen as much as the batteries themselves. Keeping them properly maintained likely doubled their life. I recently started buying Noco Genius chargers and plan to mount them permanently for the cooler winters the trucks will now see.

BTW, glad to see you posting again......neighbor.

glcaines

Good morninig Gary. I think I would give credit to your maintenance regimen as much as the batteries themselves. Keeping them properly maintained likely doubled their life. I recently started buying Noco Genius chargers and plan to mount them permanently for the cooler winters the trucks will now see.
BTW, glad to see you posting again......neighbor.
In addition to always keeping a Soneil battery minder attached, the A3 also has a Solargizer that was installed by the Army. Unfortunately, where I live is highly wooded and the shade precludes much sunlight reaching the Solargizer where I keep the truck parked. We should get together sometime now that we're neighbors. There are several people in the area with MVs, especially deuces.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree Gary. Sunlight isn't the prevalent here either. Had lunch up your way yesterday. Went to Asianos.