• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bolt on power steering kit

joeM62

I am thinking on doing this kit on my duce but fighting the steering wheel is
getting old but i got to fix the IP before I can do anything. Has angone started
doing a kit on this and what price would they be selling for?

AceHigh

The air assist is totally fail safe. If you cut one of the air lines it simply reverts back to manual and seals off the on-board air so it does not disable the brakes.

Don't know if the hydraulic system has built in safeties.

JasonS

The air assist is totally fail safe. If you cut one of the air lines it simply reverts back to manual and seals off the on-board air so it does not disable the brakes.

Don't know if the hydraulic system has built in safeties.
The hydraulic assist (ie. HF54 box and Garrison system) is fail safe against fluid loss.

Cleptomaniac

May be talking about something i dont know about but isnt adding a pump to the mess going to pull power from a already underpowered motor?
just my 2cents

deathrowdave

Garrison Steering has made and sold this type of steering "Hydro Assist" for years and it retains the OEM steerinfg box. I have this type of steering on my truck , used 5 ton pump . It works great almost too easy at times !!!! Needed to flip the the caster shims for better return to center. Many early C60/70 series trucks have used this also !!

Garrison Steering has made and sold this type of steering "Hydro Assist" for years and it retains the OEM steerinfg box. I have this type of steering on my truck , used 5 ton pump . It works great almost too easy at times !!!! Needed to flip the the caster shims for better return to center. Many early C60/70 series trucks have used this also !!

Sounds like a great way to go...I'm still on the fence, need to pull the trigger soon. How about some pictures and any more information you can share with us.

thanks,
Greg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
years ago, I had a 48 mack long 3 axle, with arm strong steering. I installed power steering assist from a mid 60s ford dump truck (think a maybe a 650 or so), this attached to the tie rod and to the frame, a sensor valve was at the end of the tie rod cylinder sensed tie rod movement and ASSISTED . the hardest part of the total install was mounting the ford PS pump/reservoir on the 220. the difference in steering was beyond belief

Last edited:

deathrowdave

I will try to get pictures and post . System works great if you brake a hose or loose the pump you still have OEM steering box working for you. Not too keen on posting pictures but I will give it a shot . I found a used system complete for $75.00 + 5 ton pump. Control valve replaces the draglink and cylinder bolts to the tie rod end and other end has bracket to mount to axle . Same as Air assist just uses hydraulic pressure instead of air pressure . :driver:

FL_Frank

I agree - while I enjoy the workout driving the deuce around, especially with the 395s on it, a hydraulic assist would be a huge plus. Thanks!

JasonS

The garrison system is still supported but parts are very expensive. A new valve is $1200.

A benefit of the HF54 box is that you have fewer turns lock to lock. The conversion required very few modifications and is essentially a bolt on mod.

I will try to get pictures and post . System works great if you brake a hose or loose the pump you still have OEM steering box working for you. Not too keen on posting pictures but I will give it a shot . I found a used system complete for $75.00 + 5 ton pump. Control valve replaces the draglink and cylinder bolts to the tie rod end and other end has bracket to mount to axle . Same as Air assist just uses hydraulic pressure instead of air pressure . :driver:
Sure would like to see some pictures of your set up

deathrowdave

Steering Pictures

The pictures are all posted in my profile , from when I installed the power assist steering (posted years ago) . If You can not get to them let me know and I will post for you . Have a great and safe day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks