• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camp Delta at Tower Park Meet 4/ 14-21/13 near Lodi, CA

TheRecorder

Are you going to bring one or two dueces?

We will have to discuss convoy details as the event gets closer
Myself, I will drive one. JD Toumanian would drive his (photo of these two in post #15), and Barneyszoo I think he mentioned his 5 ton.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Looks like I'm coming! Will take the liberty to start a b/s/t thread even though I am a newb to this specific event.

Major Asstyrd

Major updates up now on the original post, check it out!

Also, if anybody wants to publicize convoy details, please contact me at in_garage@hotmail.com. I may not see all posts here or on other SS threads, and won't know what's really going to happen or not, so please confirm via email I will help get the word out in other forums, and to MVCC members via our newsletter and www.mvccnews.net.

Last edited:

Cucvnut

I want to go but i have a bad fuel leak and If i dont have it fixed ( i either pull the motor and install a 454 or i pull the ip and have it rebuilt.) it leaks when i park and i dont want to have diesel all over the place.

Major Asstyrd

Added Jo-Ann's cell number for camping inquiries for the Spring event (for the September version you contact KOA directly to reserve sites)

Artisan

I will try to come w/ my M925A1 .

I would love to convoy but that word is VERY BAD if used in the
wrong way w/ a patrol officer IMO. The way I understand it "convoys"
w/ the exception of legit Military, are "illegal" and should something bad
happen and a couple guys were to say they have been convoying
all there life w/o issues or something of the like, well an
attorney could use that against you...

I think a better word to use might be "parade" :) , even
then most cities require a permit for parades!

To dang many laws...............

I think I might just follow that guy and this guy can follow me and call it good.
It would be fun.

I need a radio...

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great Event

Not complaining about anything just making a comment. Reservations are made a year in advance by the regulars who go to the Tower meet each and every year. And I am all for that. But, with a limited 300 sites, there is not many available sites for necomers who are interested in and have just entered the Military Vehicle restoration world. So, hopefully there may be more sites available in the future.

I admit that I am totally ignorant of how big the organizers want this event to get since they are the ones who have to plan and arrange everything (super thanks for that!), so keep that in mind. Just my 1.5 cents

Major Asstyrd

Not complaining about anything just making a comment. Reservations are made a year in advance by the regulars who go to the Tower meet each and every year. And I am all for that. But, with a limited 300 sites, there is not many available sites for necomers who are interested in and have just entered the Military Vehicle restoration world. So, hopefully there may be more sites available in the future.

I admit that I am totally ignorant of how big the organizers want this event to get since they are the ones who have to plan and arrange everything (super thanks for that!), so keep that in mind. Just my 1.5 cents
Convoys are illegal in CA? I’d like to see the Vehicle Code for that. No doubt the CHP doesn’t like us driving slow AND too close for cars wanting to enter and exit offramps. Imagine a car going 75 past a line of 45 mph MVs and wanting to exit.

As for camping at Tower Park, last April was the first time we sold out of dry camping space. Numbered sites are always tough but there is annual churn and Jo-Ann tries to handle all needs. She keeps a wait list of people wanting sites, changes, swaps, sharing, etc. A camper has a period of time after April to reserve “his” spot again. Late in year, if still un-booked, Jo-Ann will place someone from her list. That person may then call KOA and put a deposit down. Don’t call KOA direct for a new April site. They won’t take your reservation. But they accidentally do, it will be cancelled. The above procedure will be followed. Now for the September 15-22 Camp Delta, you go to KOA for reservations just like anywhere else. We have the room. We concentrate on Campground 4 in September, so only request Campground 2 if you prefer it.

This year with the MVPA Convention being in Portland in late July, we might have a lighter turnout. But the magazine ads and special MV displays in recent years have grown our numbers. What we need to do is talk people out of renting a campsite just for parking a commuter car. The levee by the marina is for day-use cars and pickups. And people who have room in their site and will share should tell Jo-Ann. Most sites are large.

KOA owns acreage to the east and may someday develop it as they convert the old campground to more pull-through spaces for modern RVs. In the meantime if the event grows, we will have to either use some common area for dry camping, or folks will have to get a motel in Lodi. We don’t want to use up common area because it is earmarked for day-use displays, plus living history camping (contact ME for either). Also some perimeter areas can be too soft to drive on, so it’s a weather driven option. Do not assume there will be overflow space even if bone dry.

There is a small county campground ¼ mile north of the Tower Park entry road. Most people don’t know it exists. http://www.mgzoo.com/parks/westgate-landing-park.htm

Remember, we have some display space for day-user MVs in Campground 4. If a very heavy MV, get on my radar screen early so I can save a paved spot.

Prepare to open up a can of FUN!

quickfarms

The prohibition on convoys is only in affect if the convoy is lead by a black mack superliner pulling a tanker.

I would like to see the citation prohibiting convoys in either the CA Vehicle Code or from the FMCSA. We have been unable to locate any relevant section. What you can be ticketed for us impeding the flow of traffic or tailgating. The rule of thumb is that you can not travel slower than 45 mph on the freeway or more than 15 mph below the posted speed limit. There is an exception for weather conditions. You also can not travel so closely together as to prohibit vehicles from passing or merging.

The military has an exemption to these rules on the interstate highway system and the DOD is reported to provide a large portion if the federal highway money.

The FMCSA does have a section cautioning vehicles in convoys not to follow to closely. They actually recommend that in a convoy you increase your following distance,

quickfarms

With all of Artisans convoy talk I had to watch convoy in net flicks last night. I think the movie might be the source of the urban legend that a convoy is illegal. But the movie also states that the tanker can haul 10000 gallons!

Major Asstyrd

Back in about 1988 when the April meet was west of Patterson, a bunch of us "convoyed" from Livermore. 10-12 MVs. I was on my Indian. We were going down I-5 at 40-45, most following way too close admiring the vehicle ahead of them, when a CHP cruiser came up the fast lane yelling on the PA at everybody to increase spacing. Pretty funny. It's hard because there is always somebody driving slower than he needs to. If these things can't cruise at 45 with a catch-up speed of 48+, they probably should travel alone.

Major Asstyrd

Added to original post - MASH 4077 Party at Rosa's at Tower Park restaurant, Saturday night (dress as your favorite character. Prizes).

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Figured I’d do a AAR of my recon to the Tower Park Show, Spring 2013 (TPSS13). Having experienced several shows on the east coast (Aberdeen, GA Rally, Gilbert, NJ MTA Show, GAMVPA) over several years, I figure I’d do a quick once over about this experience.
To my knowledge, I never met anyone at the TPSS13. On a couple of occasions, I thought I recognized an individual here or there that I had seen at Aberdeen but not anyone I definitively knew.
The TPSS13 runs for 8 days (Sat for a week to the following Sun) but the crowd really picks up on Wednesday evening through Saturday. I departed for the show from West Texas on Monday morning at 0300 for what had planned to be a roughly 1200 mile, 18 hr trip. I was in my M1009 with M101A2 with a load lighter than what I would have taken to shows out east.
Problems started immediately. The forecast called for a steady headwind the whole way. In the end I battled ac onstant, stead headwind the entire trip out from start to the very time that I parked the truck at Tower Park. This further affected speed and engine performance. Second issue occurred with my vehicle charging in the yellow and then red. A quick call to Recovry4x4 to confirm my plan to keep going and not to turn off the vehicle until I reached a place to recharge. He also suggested swapping batteries as the charge went down. I later stopped at a truck repair shop and had the battery charged (2 hr delay) and then began the battery swap plan that worked the rest of the trip. Every 500 miles I would swap the batteries.
Because of the wind, I had issues staying over 55 mph. I stopped at Kingman and after completing a fluid check/fill and battery flip continued across the Mojave. This was my first time in this area of the country. The hills in the vicinity of 29 Palms exit of I-40 were steep and long. The truck started over-heating. The best practice I found was to keep moving but drop the truck into 1[SUP]st[/SUP]or 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] (gear selection depending on grade) and go up the hill very slow to keep the rpms down. The light went out within a minute or two and as long as I did this on the hills, I didn’t run into further issues but it sure slowed me down.
As night approached I pulled off in Barstow. The mountain between Barstow and Barksdale also caused some heating issues again but I slowed and lowered gear and it worked. I arrived around 2pm on Tuesday at Tower Park. Was directed to the HQ site 390 where I met JoAnn and Kurt Lesser. I must state that right from the start, the Lessers were the ultimate hosts. I was provided a nice spot right across the street from them under a nice shade tree. They were a source of support throughout the show. I can’t say enough good things about them.
Kurt and JoAnn were the primary “action officers” for theshow. The location is at a KOA Campground which is adjacent to a marina. It is well away from Lodi so don’t just search on the city and go to the city before trying to find the actual campground on the GPS. For those that attend Gilbert, it is very much similar to that show with tree lined streets and trees to park under. There are cabins available but slightly pricey. A field is available to dry campand for larger vehicles and the open field parking was VERY inexpensive. You will also see more RVs at this show versus the eastern shows. There is a pool, kids playground and a very large water bladder for kids (and adults) to bounce on. There were A LOT MORE families at this event than I see in the east. There were special activities specifically for spouses. The kids seemed to be occupied pretty well with the pool, playground and vehicle rides.
Weather was clear the entire time. Nights were cool to cold but the days were spent in shorts/t-shirt. Bring a good sleeping bag and warm jacket. One guy plays a military movie each night on a large screen. It is byob and maybe chair if you get there late. He had 3 movies and would have played ones from other folks. I was wishing I would have brought my collection of movies and especially the movie Play Dirty with Michael Caine and Nigel Green which had a bunch of jeeps and 3/4 tons in it.
The place is huge and rivals Aberdeen and is probably larger. The spots are spacious and yous ee more yet smaller vending set ups. Take a bike, scooter or small vehicle to get around, I forgot to take my bicycle and regretted it immensely.
Unlike all the eastern events, there was no MKT at this event. The food service for breakfast is pretty limited to a coffee/muffin shop at the marina or what you bring with you. A breakfast vendor was tried in the past with limited success and was cancelled. A restaurant is at the Marina for lunch and dinner. Dinner is available most evening by a vendor at the pavilion. The price was around $7 or 8 but my plate was loaded to capacity and is sure a step up from the standard burger and fries atmost shows. A small shoppette is at the marina for some food, drinks (including some alcohol) and ice. It is a hike from the marina to the far endof the camp ground (again, bring transport). The last town with a large full service grocery was about 10 miles to the east. There might have been a closer one in other directions. So definitely plan on self support for breakfast and to a lesser extent lunch.
I didn’t need it but I saw a forklift in the site and would assume that support would be available if needed and coordinated in advance. The marina also has a boat ramp for amphibious vehicles. There is no off-road park and convoying on the road outside the park (route 12) would be somewhat difficult without police support due to the high speed on the road. These are issues brought up by members themselves and they are looking for solutions or other opportunities.
A lot more WWII items can be found at this event compared to the east coast events. WWII jeeps were plentiful but very few deuces and larger vehicles. I did not see any wreckers, only one 5 ton and two M35 series trucks. There was an M915 with trailer parked at the entrance to the Marina. I was happy to see an M20 armored car and two halftracks. I was especially surprised to see a jeep and a right hand drive 1940’s truck set up as a Long Range Desert Group vehicle. This group has a website LRDG.org that is very interesting. I’ve read a bit on the Brit WWII special ops units and was very impressed with this moving monument to the LRDG.
I found the ‘stuff’ sought after on the east coast is not so on the west coast and vice versa. Modern, large M series ‘stuff’ isn’t really wanted. While I didn’t find much in the way of ‘cheap’ deals, I did find some neat items. The SCR510 (BC620) radio still eluded me (a little more on this below).
I had issues with the truck upon arrival and thought it was a bad brake drum shoe. Turned out one of the inside fork on my brake cylinder piston broke and sent the rest into the drum. While enroute to the nearest NAPA (15 miles)it got so bad I had to pull into a auto repair shop and have it repaired (expensive since they literally replaced the entire rear brake and drum—as in, all of it was chewed up bad). Wouldn’t have believed how bad but saw it with my own eyes and the pads had plenty of wear left except for the chewed up area on them.
So this repair had me off site from 7 am to 3 pm. During that time my site got raided. Being solo and not having someone to watch my stuff was a concern from the outset. I returned to find some items missing even though when I left, everything was closed and covered by a tarp. So ensure you set up with someone you know and/or leave instructions or contact info. The “raid” had the impact to keep me locked at my site virtually the rest of the show. This impacted my ability to find the items Iwanted/needed.
The majority of the folks I met joined or attempted to join Steel Soldiers but few were regulars. Most were unaware of the vin info thread for their more modern M series vehicles. If my next job keeps me in the west, I will definitely consider becoming a member of their club while still trying to expand membership in Steel Soldiers.
I took a different route home and came around Los Angelesand then east on I-10. Few hills on this route and I was lighter. My average speed was 63 on the way home and I did a quick sleep in the truck at a rest area. I left on Saturday at 2 pm and was home on Sunday at 7 pm.
Overall the show was great. The show is well organized, well managed and very impressive which displays a great team that organizes and manages the event. I met a lot of great people and the positive experience far outweighed the issues I had. I would definitely like to do it again.

Last edited:

Major Asstyrd

Carnac you won the Longest Distance Driving a MV award and should be congratulated! Overall you'd have won the Hard Luck Award too had you put in for it (and had I known) although Jim's G506 rear axle coming out a couple feet on the way to the meet was pretty catastrophic.

Thanks for the write-up. It's nice to see details how our event compares to the other big shows. Many outside the West don't know what the MVCC has been doing here since the late '70s. Not a big ad budget because we make no money on the camping fees and we don't charge a separate vendor, admission, or parking fee. Other than the Spring raffle and some club merchandise sales, we are a membership-driven club. It's all done for the hobby. If people want to see more things happen at our Spring and Fall Camp Delta meets, they are welcome to join the Military Vehicle Collectors of California - the largest MVPA affiliate club in the U.S.

We had 36 MVs in the USN/USMC vehicle showcase! Thanks to everybody who participated especially you-know-who with his 15 ton Seabee truck all the way from Southern Cal (I can't remember who likes to use real names here...) A Supply Line magazine article will result, so MVPA members who get that can see what happened. Hopefully they will print the participant list but if no room we will print it in our club newsletter.

Sorry to hear of your merchandise problem. This is rare as far as I know but as the activities and marketing person I may not get wind of things like that. Maybe Kurt as club President will comment.

Major thanks to Jo-Ann Lesser, First Lady of the MVCC for many years, who is our camping interface with KOA for the Spring event. She tries to get everybody in the camp area they want, keeps a wait list, and generally solves problems that would happen if a campground owner operated as normal, which is like a hotel. Nothing against the KOA system - they do a great job. As a swap meet and social event, our needs are different. Jo-Ann helps make it work. Unfortunately we are at camping capacity for the April meet. So unless folks share sites, we are limited until KOA expands into the 80 acres they own to the east. Offsite stays in motels are always an option. BUT the September version of Camp Delta does not have any camping restrictions! Great sites are still available. Info is at www.MVCCNews.net.

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC
I am also sorry to hear about the merchandise problem! That is the first I have
heard of that happening at TP. Thanks again for bringing my pressure bleeder.
Bruce

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
No worries. Nice meeting you.

I just gotta get the words "dude, bra' (as in bro) and naly" out of my vocabulary (LOL).

truck1

Carnac,
Sorry to hear of your bad luck, but would like to thank you for the best deal of the show for me- the C-2298 VIC box for 7$ !!!!!!!!! Just got my radios ready to power up. Wish I could have stayed longer. Everyone I met were nice people including yourself. When we met you had just arrived and were on ICE #2 after a rough trip. I wish I had the cajone's to make that trip east in my 1028! Someday soon I hope. Good to see a SS there after reading all the threads and great info.Great to meet you and please come back next year. I am coming in the fall for sure for a few nights. Sorry you got raided ,and hope it was not to bad. Best regards,Pat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks