• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

changing primary fuel filter

DeuceNewb

How do you change it? My deuce has lost almost all power, so i figure it needs a change. I looked on here, and some have said the alt has to be moved, some have said to remove the whole assembly off the frame, and then somewhere sombody said something about doing it from the bottom in 15 min.
How do you do that, and where is it located?

i really don't have hours to spend on it, and i would like the quickest and easiest solution

nickd

for the best solution to your problem contact John Tennis and install on of his spin on primary fuel filter adapters. He makes great products, I should know, I started with his primary fuel filter adapter and now I have converted to all spin on filters. No more PITA canister filters. I even changed the oil canister filters on my mules to spin on oil filters.

tm america

i do mine from the bottom i have a wrench i bent to hold the bolt .a five dollar wrench is cheaper than a screw on filter kit plus i dont really care for the spin on filters since they dont have any way to drain the water out and thats one of the main purposes of the primary filter:roll:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can get a wrench in there without touching the alt.

After Christmas I'm switching to Westfolks spin on system.

tm america

bending the wrench makes it easier to get from the bottom .,the bolt goes down from the top right under the alt it can be accessed from the top without bending a wrench but the wrench has to point towards the rear and its hard to hold it like that from the bottom

Farmun

so where exactly is it mounted? and i have no problem bending a wrench to make it work. I have no time to wait for an expensive kit
The primary filter is on the inside of the frame rail, passenger side of the motor, directly underneath the alternator. If you don't have time to change it, drain the crud out of it first through the drain valve, see if that helps. Try all the above suggestions, from least expensive/least effort on up to the spin on adaptors to get the solution that works for you within your budget. I would like to have the spin ons also, but there's other stuff to spend my money on. Changing a filter in 15 minutes, instead of 3 minutes...my time's not that important.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've moved the filters back 4 inches on the frame rail on both trucks. Now I can access the filter bolt without moving the alt, or bending wrenches. Makes it a 5 min job to change a filter.

Dennis

roscoe

I change mine from the top without moving anything. It does require some time and a few choice words to get it done. Long term, one of the above modifications makes sence.

Last edited:

dabtl

i do mine from the bottom i have a wrench i bent to hold the bolt .a five dollar wrench is cheaper than a screw on filter kit plus i dont really care for the spin on filters since they dont have any way to drain the water out and thats one of the main purposes of the primary filter:roll:
The spin on filter kit from jatonka has a filter with the water drain. I have it on both of my deuces.

I have no experience with westfolk's kit, but I note that it does require more attention to the plumbing and mounting than the jatonka kit.

The jatonka kit took about five minutes to install on either of my deuces.

Frankly, if you choose either kit for the primary, you will quickly decide that is the way to go on all of the filters. I love my jatonka oil and secondary fuel filter kits on both of my deuces.

DeuceNewb

i looked but couldn't find the tm. once i figured out where and what to do, it wasn't that bad. Just looseded the bolt from the top then unscrewed the rest from the bottom. came right off real easy, and wow there was a lot of gunk in it.

airmech3839

Using a TM??? I have glanced over it before and not printed it up and not heeded its words and have been in the company of Pvt. Murphy then!!:-x Read TM it does have pictures and if you get creative it could have pop up pictures...h:-Dehehehe for those of us that like that in a book...they keep it simple...just wish some of the pics were in color and or real pictures!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks