• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crap. Found this broken large bolt in driveway, with pic.

iacucv

Went and picked up a ton and a quarter of rock. Truck drove great, actually seemed to love the weight. When I got home I unloaded some and went to hop in the back up, and noticed this bolt broken off and laying just inside the driver front tire.

The threads are obviously broken, it seems to be a 3/8" bolt and is about 3 3/4" to where it broke. It was covered in oil, but I have a front main leak that is on the to do list along with a new harmonic dampened.

so, anyone have an idea where this came from and hopefully save me some back time in the muddy driveway?
image.jpg

Oh, I also had a shop replace my water pump recently. Is it possible it is something they did?

Last edited:

tractors0130

With that knurled part by the threads, I would say it is a starter bolt also. Have you crawled under your truck to check? If it's yours, it's broke off in the block; hopefully enough threads to grab, not the end of the world.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Unless it took a chunk of the block with it....

Also check that the angle bracket tab is still on the starter near the motor mount. If not, make one, NOW.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a BROKEN starter bolt. Need to replace both of them before you break the starter or the block.

91W350

You did not share the end of it, but normally, you can catch a ridge where they break and tap gently with a small punch counter clock wise to back them out. Sometime the stub in the block can be twisted with a small screw driver. You are far from the first to have this wonderful experience. Go to your GM dealer and get two new bolts. I second the angle bracket to the block from the end of the starter.

Dabba

Broken Starter bolt. Have fun drilling it out. I couldnt, cost me 3 hours of labor at the mechanics. Dont try to start or use the truck until you get it sorted out. and yes the brace is a must. Mine rattled loose.

steelandcanvas

The knurles gave it away as a starter bolt. Drill it and use an easy-out to back the broken piece out. Don't bust the easy-out off, then you have to drill it with a carbide drill and use heli-coil, and then find the exact length bolt. Don't ask me how I know about the heli-coil part...good luck.

91W350

I would try mechanical removal before drilling, if you do drill, use a reverse ground bit so if it catches the bolt, it backs the bolt out instead of driving it farther in. No sense making a bad deal worse....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This just serves me as a reminder. Ordered 5 bolts and 3 nose brackets a minute or 5 ago.

iacucv

Quick question for y'all, it was recommended to go to a stealership for the bolts, is there a big difference between the OEM and what I would get at NAPA or the like?

jdknech

Quick question for y'all, it was recommended to go to a stealership for the bolts, is there a big difference between the OEM and what I would get at NAPA or the like?
the ones from NAPA and the like tend to brake off easier... the AC delco ones i got from chevy didnt brake off.. my dealership had to order them, but it was only $20-ish for 5 bolts.. so to me it was worth it...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The factory bolts are the best. Sometimes the dealer has them in stock, sometimes not.

I order mine from my local Oreilly's (on the way to work). Saves me driving to the dealer. I order 10 at a time (comes in a box of 5).

Last edited:

iacucv

K thanks guys. The dealership is a good drive, maybe ill run some napa ones until I get over to the dealer. Need to get up and running, got another ton or so of rock to get and a ton of dirt that needs hauled!

Joeinderry

To get broken bolts out I usually mig weld a nut to the broken stud and just use a socket to back it out. The welding heats the stud and they usually brake free. Good luck.

Triple C

If you can't weld a nut on, go with Glen's suggestion and use left twist drill bits. I broke one off in my 6.5 and the left twist bit backed it right out, didn't even need the easy out. As Patracy suggested be sure the bracket on the end of the starter is tight, otherwise you will be doing it again (I know from experience!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks