• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Family User Friendly M109 Camper/ Bug Out Vehicle Pics

srodocker

Yup im going to try to do the interior by craigslist stuff. im getting a camper that has a rotten shell but brand new appliances. oven/fridge/jacks/inverters

stalker

Yup im going to try to do the interior by craigslist stuff. im getting a camper that has a rotten shell but brand new appliances. oven/fridge/jacks/inverters[/QUOT

With daily diligence on the computer I was able to purchase everything for the interior in the pics for under $700. That includes the a/c too!:grin:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In keeping with the budget theme, drill a hole in one of the side walls and epoxy a large funnel in the hole angled downward. Viola, instant urinal! LOL

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never get tired of these M109 camper conversion threads!

From crazy elaborate to down to basics simple, they all make me want to build one also.

The fun to be had, during and after a build like this, seems limitless.

Nice work and thanks for posting it.

Very cool! i just got an M109 and plan to turn it into a camper as well. I like the simplicity of yours and i want to keep my simple too. i was going to ask you about the roof air conditioner i really like that idea, was it hard to mount in there? and also what did you do to power everything. Did you use the existing hardware and outside plug? Great job!! i'll be posting pics of mine as soon as school is out and i have the time to get working on it! [thumbzup]

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice and simpel have fun with it. I too was wondering about the roof AC. Easy install and you like the choise over a window unit in the side of the box? Oddball was talking boxing in the frame work up there to keep it stiff. Did you box or stay between the supports?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see the problem with the upper bunk. I was on a ship for 5yrs, that looks like more space! lol. My wife said I slept like I was in a coffin for the first 5yrs we were together. I said, that's because I'm used to it! lol.

Great simple build! We love the one my wife built. Lots of fun pulling into a state park with one. lol.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solar panels have been purchased, but I have not figured out how to mount them to the roof yet.
Generator is going on the 105 trailer.
I just used small hinges to mount my panels, as long as it is snug, you won't have any issues. I put my gen where the spare goes, plan to upgrade the tires eventually and figured the larger spare wouldn't fit there anyway. Just built a box around it.

Attachments

stalker

In keeping with the budget theme, drill a hole in one of the side walls and epoxy a large funnel in the hole angled downward. Viola, instant urinal! LOL

Some folks that read your suggestion might think it's funny, but you are definitely speaking my language Kenny and I might just do that!:)

stalker

Very cool! i just got an M109 and plan to turn it into a camper as well. I like the simplicity of yours and i want to keep my simple too. i was going to ask you about the roof air conditioner i really like that idea, was it hard to mount in there? and also what did you do to power everything. Did you use the existing hardware and outside plug? Great job!! i'll be posting pics of mine as soon as school is out and i have the time to get working on it! [thumbzup]
To be honest, the a/c was easier than I thought it would be. I lost sleep over cutting perfectly good metal out of the roof, but once I commited and started cutting it went quickly. The air duct hole was the same size as a standard rv skylight (14 1/8) square hole. I decided on mounting between the roof supports off to one side.... the ac unit is not centered on the roof, but I did not have much of a choice since the control panel inside would have been up against the bunk beds and after I painted the roof unit I barely notice it anymore and I don't notice it at all inside the box with the ac blowing wide open. Once the ceiling hole was cut and insulation removed, I simply cheated by using a pencil to trace the roof hole outline using the newly cut ceiling hole as a guide for my pencil.
Project was started at about noon and by 3:00pm and the help of a few cold ones the ac was blowing cold.:grd:

As for as the power, the existing hardware was utilized but new wires were run down through the wall under the junction boxes to an rv plug that Vinny-Socom supplied to me as well as came over to help install external plug and wiring. Its a 30 amp twist lock.

stalker

Nice and simpel have fun with it. I too was wondering about the roof AC. Easy install and you like the choise over a window unit in the side of the box? Oddball was talking boxing in the frame work up there to keep it stiff. Did you box or stay between the supports?

Hey James,
I definitly like the looks of the roof unit over one in the window. The roof unit is also considerable more btu's (12,500) and the price was definitly right ($180). I boxed mine in with cut down 2x4s and it is as sturdy as a rock.:grin:

P.S.- I still need ones of thse black out panels if you've got one. Are you coming to the summer rally next month?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Great fab work....the only issues I have with the roof mount AC's is low clearance and leaking due to flexing.

Before I sold my M109 I was planning on putting an AC/heater like they use in motels in the front of it (those plans have shifted to the big van trailer I have now).

Reference a solar power system I would mount it on a trailer and have a battery bank and inverters mounted on it along with the genny. If you don't get enough sun to charge the batteries you can always charge them with the genny and have power at night without the noise of the genny.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks