• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

rustystud

Sorry "plowboy" no special repair kits. I did buy 10 gasket kits for $20.00 each. Still in the original military wrapper. It was the same kit I got from you earlier, so no "reduction unit" gaskets. He did have fiber plates in 50 pack boxes. I bought a few. I asked if I needed more would he mail them to me. He said no. I doesn't like dealing with the postal system. So maybe next spring/summer when I come up to you, I'll make another stop at Lyle's place and buy more. He plans on getting rid of all his military stuff by summers end next year. If it doesn't sell he's scrapping it.

Another Ahab

Before installation we wanted to fix this broken pipe.

View attachment 931761View attachment 931760

We began by failing with an easy out to back out the broken pipe. Mechanic Mike suggested a 37/64 bit and the 3/8? tap and avoiding the easy out. The easy out can run crooked so after trying with the easy out, it was plan B.

Mech Mike suggested a donut magnet around the hole. That was brilliant. I couldn't find the 37/64 and the next $38.00 bit size down was 9/16....so I bought it. Used a fancy drill with a level on it and by the time I ran the tap in, the remaining pipe thread came out on the tap, perfectly in the center. This was a huge achievement for a landscaper.
Great record here, plowboy. Outstanding.

Okay. So I'm a knucklehead:

- What exactly is an "Easy-Out"?, and

- Like the drill has a bubble-level built into it? How about a pic of that "Fancy Drill" ?!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you haven't had the adventure of using an easy out it's like winning the lottery. It's close to the last chance broken bolt removal tool. If you're at the easy out stage, things are bad. https://shop.wurth.ca/cutting/extractor-sets/easy-out-stud-extractor-set/-EASY-OUT--KIT/695.684353/ Mattech says they're the ones in the green box.

P8223016.JPG

The winning drill for the day.

P9183223.JPGP9183253.JPG

Had a hilarious and exceptional day with Project Put Paint Upon Piglet. PPPUP
The 'thing' with Piglet is just getting Paint Under The Engine Bonnet. Project PUTEB Today it was inner fenders and inner rad support housing.

P9183225.JPGP9183249.JPG

The prep went well, with a big crosswind conditions were ideal. It's a little rough sanding off the stencils but that will be something we can also learn to do and it will be replaced. One inner fender took more work than I had time so the grinder came out with a sanding wheel.

P9183228.JPGP9183229.JPGP9183234.JPGP9183235.JPGP9183236.JPG

The first coat went down nice......but painting outside is always risky and a little fuzz showed up. No big deal right?

P9183247.JPG P9183258.JPG

With the shine coat done and the rad top looking phenomenal, it was time to let it dry.

P9183257.JPG P9183248.JPG P9183254.JPG

Then the neighbour decided to bring the combine by because the fuzz wasn't enough. Might be a little dust on there in the morning. Painting outside is risky but with a Wagner sprayer, a bit of sand paper, anyone can paint just before the neighbour combines.

P9183265.JPG P9183260.JPG