• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 dim at idle, sometimes slow cranking, sometimes not.

With my m1009 at idle, I have 14.4 at gen 1, which I just rebuilt, and 30 at gen two( Iam guessing that this is thier combined number, I was testing by holding onto the red wire and ground.) At Idle my front battery shows 14.4, my rear 14.7. My gen1 bulb was out for a couple days, so I replaced it, it lights up now at start, no problem. My gen 2 bulb is dimly lit at idle, then dissapears with rpm. I have another rebuild kit. Is it time for gen2 rebuild? My instrument panel is on the to do list as well. What is my best course of action? Here are some possible contributing factors. The burnt out gen1 bulb, I have done the doghead mod already, and have throughly gone over the fuel system, and installed a Racor spin on. I also just cleaned and replaced my heater and 24v fuses. I recently installed a new heater core. My voltmeter is right on the mark in the green after the glow plugs cycle, in yellow right after starting.

Last edited:

Barrman

So, your problem is the slow starting?

Has your starter been rebuilt or replaced in the past 2 years? If not, then it is probably the reason for the slow spinning rpm. Your voltage numbers seem to be right on. How old are the batteries and what do they do with a load tester?

The batteries show just over 13v each with the engine off. I have only been driving the truck for about three months though, I am unsure of the age of the starter. I will take the rear battery to be tested/charged. The slow spinning seems related to a lack of juice, but I could be dead wrong. Certainly some elec. troubleshooting is in order, I just want to make the vehicle reliable as possible as soon as possible. batteries are the mil spec ones, dated 2006, pretty old.

Barrman

Check the batteries and then check the starter after you fire up the truck. Put your hand on it. A very warm or hot starter is a sure sign of needing a new one.

Whatever the root of my problem, I seem to have "accidentally" fixed it, Tightening belts- changing bulbs etc???? I pulled the rear battery to have it tested, 13v & 100% charge, so I guess alll is well. I believe one of my battery terminals may have been a bit loose. Perhaps this was the culprit. Whatever the case, I Thank You. No change in temp. on the starter.