• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS cylinder head - resurfacing questions

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke to an old-timer today who was shop foreman at Hercules Engines and he told me exactly what you posted!!

Thanks and hopefully this info will be useful for others that stare at their cylinder heads and wonder if they can be redone.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's James Rusty and the TM# is CRS as I had to go through 7 of them. I will try and find it again but it might drive me even more over the edge.:lost:

jasonjc

Yes, the TM 9-2815-210-35 manual would be a welcome addition. I just got through looking and I have the -34-1, the -34-2-1, the -34-2-2, and the 34P, but no -35.

The -35 is an older version of the 9-2815-210 manual. The -34's are from the 80's and is a "new" style. I like to look thought all the different years of the same TM's just too see what they added or took away.

rustystud

The -35 is an older version of the 9-2815-210 manual. The -34's are from the 80's and is a "new" style. I like to look thought all the different years of the same TM's just too see what they added or took away.
I can tell you since I have both that they took out a ton of information. The new style wastes a lot of space on each page also, while the old style used the whole page. More information packed in there.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes, the TM 9-2815-210-35 manual would be a welcome addition. I just got through looking and I have the -34-1, the -34-2-1, the -34-2-2, and the 34P, but no -35.
The elusive TM 9-2815-210-35
I thought I had it in PDF, but now I can't find it!?

It is not in with a set of 4,792 manuals, although some would find
some in there they would want to have.
Here is the link to the 4,792 http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/all.mpl

TM 9-2815-210-35 Sep 1964 exists.jpg

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I spoke to an old-timer today who was shop foreman at Hercules Engines and he told me exactly what you posted!!Thanks and hopefully this info will be useful for others that stare at their cylinder heads and wonder if they can be redone.
We need to get the "old-timer" ; "shop foreman at Hercules Engines" to join SS!
What a wealth of information He must have. Maybe He knows where the blueprints went.

brianp454

Didn't I scan that for you a year or so ago? I have it on pdf and still have the original in a bookcase in my office. Rustystud I've tried to chat with you about scanning stuff, but never hear back from you.

The elusive TM 9-281-210-35
I thought I had it in PDF, but now I can't find it!?

It is not in with a set of 4,792 manuals, although some would find
some in there they would want to have.
Here is the link to the 4,792 http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/all.mpl

View attachment 580547

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
aua

Machine shop called. The shop they subbed the work out to discovered that they need to disassemble the head to do the welding and practically doubled the quote. $1400 for R&R of one (1) head :shock: craaazy.

I pulled the plug on the shop and will deal with getting the old heads back next week. In the meantime, have two new late-style heads from a vendor on order. With the prices what they are, anything more than simple refinishing of the head loses out to a replacement (for as long as these are available).
I guess I won't eat next month, after all!