• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 front axle end caps shreaded spline ?

zxmedic

Hi gang

Anyone seen this is there a reason or cause there is no damage to the spline on the axle shaft .
uploadfromtaptalk1391445348285.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391445365486.jpg

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibly a bad wheel bearing , causing to much play in the axle shaft . I would start with checking condition of the all the bearings and seals in that wheel .

Sephirothq

Maybe it was done on purpose to unlock the front axle. I have an M813A1 that has the spline out of it as well. They were cut out and a cap was welded on in place. So the front end free wheels.

zxmedic

uploadfromtaptalk1391446760003.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391446785500.jpg

Most of the seals look good bearings smooth no play only seal that is leaking is the inner on the axle housing

RustyM923

If there were lots of metal parts in there, I'd say failure of some kind (perhaps wheel bearing, as mentioned above (causing misalignment).

If no metal bits, I'd say it was done deliberately.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can not see it from the pictures , maybe some either Torched it out or used a DIE grinder to take the splines . If there is no metal in the cap or bearings ,just need a new cap . BTW , how is the OTHER side ? Have you had the a problem with the front wheel drive operating ?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There was not one ounce of metal in there clean that way
So there's no part of the splined section in the hub? Both axles like this? It's hard to tell, but it looks like that's a torch cut with a freeze plug or dust cover placed into the center? I'd assume it was done on purpose to free up the front end. Which on a 5 ton is pointless since the t-case is going to apply the sprag in a M809 series truck.

zxmedic

The axle ends look new no damage I think you guys are right the end caps have been torched to not engage

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First time I've ever seen front hubs desplined with the gas hatchet! Whoever did it was determined for sure!

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It thinks you have lost traction , and with the splines cut out , it applies the sprag . I would replace the of axle covers and then a take test drive someplace you can get the sprag to work .

zxmedic

I can not see it from the pictures , maybe some either Torched it out or used a DIE grinder to take the splines . If there is no metal in the cap or bearings ,just need a new cap . BTW , how is the OTHER side ? Have you had the a problem with the front wheel drive operating ?
The other Cap is the same they have torched the splines out and put dust caps over the holes like patracey mentioned . This truck is new to me I did a quick inspection drove it home 30 miles now just fixing . Amazing this seems to have been done buy our good ole Canadian military after they put the knuckle boom on it . :banghead:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to defeat the sprag, place an air valve on the line from the compressor to the sprag. Then the front end will free wheel, and you should gain some miles per gallon. Do make sure the sprag is in neutral before cutting the air supply.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Strange they would do that , I am thinking somebody did not have a handle on how the all wheel drive operates , but o... Well , get a couple of caps and you should be good to go . EASY FIX , BTW , welcome to the site and good luck with your new ride , where in Canada? bob k

zxmedic

Thanks rtk

I should have taken it all apart here is what I have on the other side I checked for end play and the end just slid out groan uploadfromtaptalk1391467245152.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391467264898.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391467279437.jpg

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW , some Dis- Assembly REQUIRED . After looking at that , I wonder if you have something else going on in the DIFF also . I would drain the fluid just to see if any parts are in the gear oil . Another thought is if you find that there is something wrong with the front DIFF , you might want think about getting a whole axle assembly from somebody who is parting out a 5 ton .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One great lesson for everyone to fully inspect a truck before driving it.