• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NAPA Muffler

jimm1009

I purchased my muffler from NAPA today (and intake elbow).
My muffler box had been opened and was taped shut. The muffler was o.k. (never installed) but there were no directions inside and the box is not marked with directions either. I know that this sounds silly but there is a In and an Out and there is no arrow or indication of IN like most mufflers have stamped on them.
I put mine on so the numbers can be read as installed.
The expanded metal (screen like material) inside is at the bottom in the end as installed.
I hope this is correct but was hoping that somone could clarify this for me.
I drove it about an 1/8 of a mile but won't push it until I know for sure.
Mufflers installed backwards can probably do damage or severly restrict exhaust flow, or so I would think.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

jimm1009@yahoo.com

jimm1009

your NAPA muffler

Thanks for the reply. I have mine like that too but I just wanted to make sure of correct side being the inlet.
Did yours come with any instructions or was your marked with an arrow as most other mufflers are?
Jim

5tonpuller

jimm1009 said:
I purchased my muffler from NAPA today (and intake elbow).
My muffler box had been opened and was taped shut. The muffler was o.k. (never installed) but there were no directions inside and the box is not marked with directions either. I know that this sounds silly but there is a In and an Out and there is no arrow or indication of IN like most mufflers have stamped on them.
I put mine on so the numbers can be read as installed.
The expanded metal (screen like material) inside is at the bottom in the end as installed.
I hope this is correct but was hoping that somone could clarify this for me.

Here is a few pictures of mine. While was doing this I came across a idea so it is kinda on hold till I get the other parts in. More to follow. Oh yes it is WHY quieter and you can talk ( no scream ) to the person sitting in there with you.
Matt

Attachments

bottleworks

maccus said:
In the picture posted by 5tonpuller you can see the MFGRs part number 21470 which makes it a muffler made by Walker. You can get one from Rock Auto for $44.79. Just go to their site and select part number look up and type in "21470". I have been getting parts from them for years and never been disappointed.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Good find. I wish I knew that when I got mine from Napa. Oh well. Hopefully future buyers won't have to pay the $60 price tag any longer.

DanMartin

OD Iron muffler on my deuce. Note the band clamp at the top, and the flapper (came with it from the USAF).

Quiets it down nicely, but not too bad. Still need ear protection on the hwy, but you can drive around town without. Idle is nice and quiet for the neighbors....

Attachments