• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member, New M105 Trailer, Lessons Learned

Onondaga

Hey all, this is my first post, I am a new member. I have been reading all the trailer posts especially for the M105 because I just purchased one and didn't know much about them. I used M105 trailers in the military but did not maintain them. So I picked up the trailer and it is in great condition! As many in the other posts went through I was worried about; can I pull with my half ton pickup? How do I raise up my hitch? Can I flip the lunette? How can I (one man with a bad back) get the landing gear up and down and ring up onto my pintle?? What else do I need to think about to safely pull this thing???

So my lessons learned are:
1. Yes, the M105 pulls very nicely behind a half ton pickup. Definitely leaning forward but pulls nicely till you get it home. (See pic)
2. I purchased a hitch riser plate (not sure if that is the appropriate term for it or not but that's what I call it). Raised my hitch up about 7 inches. The one I purchased ran me $160 bucks but it is very heavy duty. (See pics)
3. Yes you can flip the Lunette. Mine came off pretty easily. Sprayed down with Seafoam Deep Creep penetrating oil and let sit for a few hours, removed the cotter pin, removed large 1-1/2" nut with box end hitch wrench ($10 bucks at Lowes), tapped on each side of the lunette ring a few times, and it came right out. I think I got off easy on this one from reading other posts. Flipped the lunette and put the nut/cotter pin back on.
4. Though I can pick up the trailer tongue on my own, I would recommend it be a 2 man lift. I have a bad back so looked for an easy way to do this on my own. A concrete block and my pickup scissor jack did the job perfectly! (See pic)
5. After I got all this figured out, I made sure the trailer lights which were already installed by previous owner all worked. I also pulled the trailer for about 10 miles and checked the temperature of the wheels and surrounding axle and housings to make sure they were not heating up; they stayed cool so I assess that my bearings are ok for now.
6. One more lesson learned... make sure wiring for the trailer lights is zip tied up well and not dangling anywhere. I cut mine twice when dropping the landing gear.

So now should be good to go for use and pulling with my half ton pickup.

Pics attached. I welcome any comments or additional advice.

Take care all and to all my brother and sister vets, HAPPY VETERANS DAY!!!

before.jpgimage5.jpgimage4.jpgimage3.jpgimage2.jpgimage1.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A hi-lift brand jack works well for hooking and un-hooking. Be careful what you haul, those trailers are heavy empty, with a load, you might break something.

Onondaga

Thanks for the reply gimpyrob, I actually purchased it to move from to another state. I will be hauling a small couch and a hand full of boxes/household goods. Nothing too heavy.

jasonjc

Hate to bring this up but, its illegal to tow a trailer over 3000lbs gross weight with out brakes and break away brakes in Nebraska.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Welcome to the site from Cape Cod, MA. Nice trailer. I bought mine out of Fort Dix, NJ. Towed behind my F150 back home without any problems. Good luck on your move. Watch out, buying a trailer starts the MV disease:driver:

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another Welcome from MA, Also agree, now you can get an MV to haul that trailer with ease! :-D But until then, Enjoy!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hmmm, I thought they were about 2650 empty, possible typo?
I'm not sure.

I did a google image search for m105 data plate and thought I found the right one.

An m101 is 1350lbs(I know for sure, I have one), so I would have thought the m105 to be about double that. When I saw the data plate I was surprised! Anyone have a 105 they could go look at?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site!

Most states do require brakes over 3000lbs. The trailer empty does weigh 2650 so you are close.....

My only suggestion is to use 2 large quick chain links on your existing holes in the hitch and slide the hook through the quick link. The largest ones at home depot are rated for 3000 +lbs. This way in case of a catastrophic failure of your pintle or riser, the chains are secured to a different attachment point. Also will not come loose in case you have a bump etc..

When I am towing a m105 on a civy vehicle, I also use a hi-lift to get it up and down.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the years we've seen more than one m105 trailer roll over the towing vehicle due to high center of gravity. Beware

Onondaga

Thanks all for the welcomes and advice. I'll keep her light and take it slow and careful.

This is a great site and great members.

BTW... Cape Coestie I still get the shivers when I hear the words "Fort Dix". Training there in November through January will make a popsicle out of a guy. :)

AZK9

Welcome from Arizona! From your pics, the trailer looks to be in pretty nice shape. [thumbzup]

Safe travels during your move!

John Galt

Good looking trailer. I have recovered a 105 with a 1/2 ton. Looked funny but worked. Not sure about hauling stuff with one. That is a lot of lifting to get things into the bed.

A few on here are done some nice conversions to regular use (7K drop axle, brakes, wheels, tires).

Gunzy

Welcome to the craziness. You may have been better of with an M1102 which is lighter, has surge brakes and about the same load capacity.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hate to bring this up but, its illegal to tow a trailer over 3000lbs gross weight with out brakes and break away brakes in Nebraska.
Thanks jasonjc, I was aware of that and should be just under. Only hauling a few light things that are just large like a couch.

Gross weight is the combined weight of the trailer and it's maximum rated carrying capacity, regardless of what you put in it (or don't put in it). The M105 has a capacity of 1.5 tons, or 3,000 lbs. Therefore, its gross weight is 2650 + 3000 = 5,650 lbs.

Your 1/2 ton is definitely larger than my Dodge Dakota, but I certainly wouldn't pull my M105 with my Dakota but for very short distances, and only if I had to.

You should look at what your towing capacity is on your truck and hitch assembly (not just the pintle hitch itself). My Dakota's tow hitch assembly can tow just 500 lbs more than the M105 weighs empty...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks