• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seems like this is turning into a build thread.

CARC686

Rain and snow sounds wonderful. I'm just glad it's not 120 degrees every day like it was last year. I could work on the truck from about 6:30-7:00 AM last summer before my sunburn in February skin made me retreat back to my hole in the wall.

CARC686

So the hub I replaced is fine, but the one on the other side was getting so hot, it was probably just shy of glowing in the dark. Naturally, every single part was seized and I mean every single part. The big hammer did a whole lot of sweet talking. The grease was like clay and the bearings were pretty much bone dry, but it's a testament to American materials of yesteryear that I would rate the OEM bearings about 10% worn. They went right back in as hand packed grease cakes. Near as I can tell, whoever was in there last took all the parts for both front hubs and stuffed them in one side. I don't know how they fit all that junk in there, but I put it back together IAW the TM. After some freeway driving, I grabbed the hub and it was cooler to the touch than my hood.

CARC686

Yeah, I just noticed it dripped on the pavement where I was doing the hub. I resealed it last year and if it dripped once in a few hours, it has dripped hundreds of times. I used nothing but sealant on it last time, but evidently, I didn't get it clean and dry enough, and made a mess of the job in spite of having hand polished the cover to bare metal before refinishing it in hi-temp lacquer. The sealant ended up all over the place, and by the time I was done, I had a feeling it was going to leak. Crawling around under the truck while it's parked on sand is such a pain in the ass.

CARC686

I picked up a HMMWV pioneer kit awhile ago and pulled it out recently. Axe handle was chunked out and it had a pretty good wobble, so I rehung my first axe head today. That job was a lot harder than I expected it to be and the end results are pretty ugly, but it's rock solid. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Any tips from you folks up in the sticks to do a better job next time?

Axe.jpeg

Super fugly wedge work:

Wedge.jpeg

CARC686

Scrubbed the pioneer kit rack down and decided the straps were too dried up to be trusted in the desert sun, so I cut them off. Getting replaced with ratchet straps.

Straps.jpeg

The rack just got a coat of Rapco 686. The retainers were attached to L-bracket adapters, so I removed them. I believe in the current configuration, this should clamp onto the bed rail in my M1009.

Rack.jpeg

Tools sharpened and painted two tone 686 and black. The wood grain looked nice after being sanded down, but the sun would rot it away, so I covered it up.

Tools.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Scrubbed the pioneer kit rack down and decided the straps were too dried up to be trusted in the desert sun, so I cut them off. Getting replaced with ratchet straps.

View attachment 929903

The rack just got a coat of Rapco 686. The retainers were attached to L-bracket adapters, so I removed them. I believe in the current configuration, this should clamp onto the bed rail in my M1009.

View attachment 929905

Tools sharpened and painted two tone 686 and black. The wood grain looked nice after being sanded down, but the sun would rot it away, so I covered it up.

View attachment 929906
You might consider @Valence for straps.

CARC686

I had wanted to mount it in the window, but it appears that it will not fit without more modification than I care to do, plus with my luck sudden side loading would cause it to bash my glass out. For now, it's secured and out of the way. Will figure out a hard mount solution when the daily highs come down 10 or 20 degrees.

SNAFU.jpg

CUCV VZ

I had wanted to mount it in the window, but it appears that it will not fit without more modification than I care to do, plus with my luck sudden side loading would cause it to bash my glass out. For now, it's secured and out of the way. Will figure out a hard mount solution when the daily highs come down 10 or 20 degrees.

View attachment 929909
That is a pretty nifty little kit there.

Is the cable from the topper original to these trucks? If not just curious as to what you use it for.

CARC686

Been collecting stuff since I noticed the drip. Nice, bright diff cover to keep company with my nice, bright suspension bushings. Somebody bought it for a Dana and it didn't fit. Their loss, my gain. Looking at this brings a thought to mind. I always seal inboard of the fasteners so oil can't leak through the threads. The silicone beads on this gasket are outboard of the fasteners. The literature with the Lube Locker gasket claims that no sealant is necessary. They have good reviews. I will probably seal the threads on the fasteners anyway. I don't trust it. Irritating. The point of the gasket was to completely avoid handling adhesive while rolling around in the sand. Oh well. Hopefully, the diff cover will never need to be removed again. One can dream.

Rear Diff.jpg

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been collecting stuff since I noticed the drip. Nice, bright diff cover to keep company with my nice, bright suspension bushings. Somebody bought it for a Dana and it didn't fit. Their loss, my gain. Looking at this brings a thought to mind. I always seal inboard of the fasteners so oil can't leak through the threads. The silicone beads on this gasket are outboard of the fasteners. The literature with the Lube Locker gasket claims that no sealant is necessary. They have good reviews. I will probably seal the threads on the fasteners anyway. I don't trust it. Irritating. The point of the gasket was to completely avoid handling adhesive while rolling around in the sand. Oh well. Hopefully, the diff cover will never need to be removed again. One can dream.

View attachment 930121
That should make your ride run better. If not, like you said, it will complement your bushings.;)

Last edited:

CARC686

That should make ride run better. If not, like you said, it will complement your bushings.;)
You jest, but in truth, I'm putting Royal Purple in it this time. It will measurably improve my MPGs, but I won't notice because I don't pay attention. I know all the shiny crap I put on this truck is lowering the resale value, but that's a problem for whoever nabs it when I'm gone.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ROYAL PURPLE PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGES
  • Maximizes horsepower
  • Extends gear and bearing life
  • Reduces operating temperature
  • Lower coefficient of friction
  • Superior corrosion protection
  • Separates rapidly from water
  • For use with open, limited-slip and locking differential
  • Contains limited-slip friction modifier
Very impressive claims.

Now where does it say it measurably improves MPGs? :unsure:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks