• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

waiting for the tow truck

watkinssr

so, I went looking for the one missing bolt today. The auto parts store had grade 8, 8mm 1.25 bolts, but they were too long. I went to the Chevy Stealership and they looked it up on their computer and said it was a special bolt, and the nearest one was in Ohio, at a cost of nearly 5 bucks each and a week waiting for them to get here. He sent me to a specialty bolt shop across town because he didn't want to take the time to laugh at me himself, so he figured he would subcontract it out to the guy at the bolt shop.

After leaving the bolt shop I headed home. Visions of slogging through the mud in a junk yard to get ond lousy bolt ran through my head. Then I remembered "hey, GMC used these **** motors too". I drove over to a GMC dealer and showed it to the parts guy. He didn't even bother to look it up,just trudged off into the shop and found a mechanic who had some. He gave me a handful and wouldn't even let me pay him. From now on, my CUCV is a military issue GMC Jimmy whenever I need a factory part.

watkinssr

Well, got the pump in, and discoverd that with my back as bad as it is putting the lines back on it was impossible. So today, a friend of mine came over and finished the lines, and we turned it over until we bled out all the injectors. The motor was barely turning over at this point, so we decided to put the intake back on, etc. We tried it once last time to see if it would try to start and the starter just made a nasty noise...I'm praying the batteries are just that low.

So it's sitting on the charger on the front battery. About 4 am i'm going to go out and move the charger to the rear battery. Should know tomorrow.

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Killing me too! I had very similar starter problems on a couple of different vehicles and one I never was for sure it was completely solved. So I am waiting to see the next installment here before I post... I spent nearly a whole afternoon reading this from the very beginning and I'm hooked.

This problem cannot be allowed to stand!

watkinssr

Sorry for the delay...I came down with something rather foul, and have spent all my time this last week running back and forth to the bathroom. After this weekend (my busiest time, since I shoot photos of/write about bands for a living) I get to crawl back under it (hopefully monday) and pull the starter off...again.

I'll let ya'll know what happens.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Comming soon: CUCV Starter ****, the motion picture. With video game release for the XBOX and the WII. (but not the PS3).
Sir, regarding this starter problem I must respectfully ask; are you 100 percent positive-sure that you are using the proper size/length starter bolts for this application? I have read of the kind of problem you're having and part of the issue was improper size bolts.... I know, you'd think a bolt was a bolt and ya' just slap it in there, torque 'er down and go. But there are differences in starter bolts such as some have knurling on the shank, some don't, some are a 1/64th fatter, some are a harder grade, some are made in CHINA... you get the idea. Wish I could find the forum that issue was posted on but it's been quite a while ago since I read it... meanwhile, I also wonder how carefully (or not so carefully) your starter is being shimmed? Especially if there is a discrepancy with the starter bolt size!

Also, I should mention that I had a very similar problem with a '72 Pontiac Grand Prix starter blowin' itself apart several times and just generally being a PITA. And it took me a while to discover (7 starter R&R's) that part of my problem was that I bought the cheapest piece of crap starter I could possibly find. Add to that, it also wasn't the proper nose cone bushing to boot! You know, like one starter fits all application but in fact it really doesn't.

Alright, now I'll leave ya' alone to get busy with that stater instead of sitting here answering a bunch of question... these are just some points I wanted to make and your reply isn't really necessary. Maybe some the other guys here have more info on this...

Best of luck to ya'!

Last edited:

watkinssr

Sir, regarding this starter problem I must respectfully ask; are you 100 percent positive-sure that you are using the proper size/length starter bolts for this application? !
Yeah, definately. Got them from the dealership, correct part number and everything.

The problem is the assclowns...can we say assclown?...the assclowns that had the truck before me used the wrong bolts and screwed up the threads They've been helicoiled now, but it started the situation I am now in.

Today, I pulled the starter...which was easy..the bolt that goes in the front mount had vibrated out completely....It was gone, and I haven't even driven the vehicle.

Both main bolts had vibrated loose, and the starter drive gear was engaged with the flexflywheelplate teeth even though there was no power to it. But since, even engaged, it was making a horrible grinding noise I'm guessing that the drive gear is shot in the gear reduction. I got the starter on the kitchen table ready to tear down as soon as my head stops bleeding from banging it repeatedly into a brick wall while cursing the day I brought this thing home.

Anyway, tomorrow, Im going to crawl under it and see what's going on with the bolt holes...if the helicoil gave way there is a company that makes an oversize thread insert kit...expensive, but may be my only option.

Last edited:

watkinssr

went ahead and tore down the starter...internally, it looks fine. Bearings are tight, no side to side play...no teeth missing on the gear.

One of the starterbolts had a screwed up thread...just one. TomorrowI check out the holes again and see what kind of damage there is.

watkinssr

Sorry Choll, not much to report. I got the starter put togeather, tried to install it and the bolt hole that has the helicoil in it wouldn't start. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to extract the screwed up helicoil and put in another one...Haven't had a lot of time to work on it, but I hope to tomorrow. It just kinda lurks there in the driveway, mocking me.

watkinssr

Ok, I've just order the time-sert kit designed for really *'d up bolt holes...it uses bigger, solid inserts insted of coils, and apparently is packaged in pure gold or something given the price. If this doesn't fix the starter situation once and for all we move on to arson and insurance fraud.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks