• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the clear vinyl in my front passenger soft door this morning. First I cut a piece of 40ga marine vinyl to fit and then glued it to the zipper. This was to hold it in place while I stitched.
Then I had to disassemble the foot of my HD sewing machine to get the frame under it.
I could only stitch the sides and top, as the arm of my machine is not long enough to do the bottom.
I then finished the bottom w/ a speedy stitcher using heavy thread. It wasn’t ideal, but I didn’t want the typical heavy cord to stand out. In retrospect I should have just used black cord and been done with it. The thread wasn’t easy to use.
Lastly I cut out the old window with my seam ripper. It is now mad at me, but seam rippers are cheap.
Can’t say I want to do that again, but it’s nice having the window fixed.

The downside to this is now one window looks fantastic and the other three are faded...

Bulldogger

Attachments

cahilj

Of the two tops I got, the green one is just about trash with decent rain rails. The tan is in good shape except the broken and missing rails. So I pulled them off the green one and cleaned them up. I'm trying some rubber rejuvenator to soften them up. After two applications, it's noticeable. I'm not sure I'll enjoy stitching them on by hand but I'll get it done.
20240827_193619.jpg

thompsoncustom

Of the two tops I got, the green one is just about trash with decent rain rails. The tan is in good shape except the broken and missing rails. So I pulled them off the green one and cleaned them up. I'm trying some rubber rejuvenator to soften them up. After two applications, it's noticeable. I'm not sure I'll enjoy stitching them on by hand but I'll get it done.
View attachment 930564
Diesel can be used to soften rubber.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems my HMMWV repairs usually ends up being one step forward, three steps back... aua

It was sitting for several weeks since the beginning of Inferno Season here in Florida. I cannot take the inferno anymore in my old decrepit state and if I do go outside with the intent of working on the beast, I end of drenched from head to toe after about 15 minutes, ending up totally dehydrated, and exhausted! Like heat stroke. Wish I had a tree I could work under. Helmet top won't fit in the garage.

When I left it, AC blew ice cold.

Eventually I felt guilty and decided I better go out and turn it over just to give it a bit of exercise. I started right it up, and I turned on the AC and I start getting a huge belt squeal noice as soon as I turn on the AC. Wife even heard it inside the house! AC blows hot to add to my misery. Belts were replaced last winter. Pop the hood and AC belts look ok, but compressor is fighting it rotating in a jerking manner. Belts seem tight.

A few days later it was cloudy and raining out so I go out and pop off the belts and I can fell the compressor pulley is rough with the AC engaged. AC off the magnetic clutch disengages and it turns normally so no squeal.

So I order a new compressor, which was cheap since it is an aftermarket system, PAG oil, and new receiver dryer since it is common practice to replace with the compressor. Bought the flush for the lines in case.

Wait a few weeks more and a hurricane comes through so I have a day of no inferno and between rain showers I swap the compressor and receiver dryer, and evacuate and recharge the system. Blows arctic cold :) For once a successful repair. I check all the fittings with my leak detector and all fittings seem leak free.

Just went out now to take it for a ride over to drop off a package and fill it with dino juice. Starts out ice cold. Byt then end of the ride, it starts to blow hot air again. :eek:

I'll wait for a break in the heat and whip out the gauges to see what I find.

Always something with this beast!
It was cloudy today, so I figured I would hook up the gauges and see if I did not get all the crap out of the lines. If the new compressor were crapped out, I would see a low high side reading.

Instead when I started it up, the AC was ice cold again. With 90 degrees outside, I think these starting readings are normal.

20240901_114917.jpg

So I let it run for 15 minutes to find out the high side went from about 210 to 280, and the low side dropped from about 35 to 30. Now it did get hotter during all this, going from 90 to 95 outside as the clouds departed and it returned to the normal Florida Inferno.

But this time, it still blew cold inside.

20240901_121619.jpg

So perhaps I have a blockage somewhere? How does one go about finding a blockage? Or do I just do a more thorough flush and hope to get the crap out?

Reactions: OBX

cahilj

As a rule of thumb, the needles should point in relatively the same direction, regardless of pressures. When the high side climbs and low side drops off its because the compressor is pumping but not getting refrigerant back. My guess is that the orifice is plugged. It could be why the old compressor failed (lack of oil).

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the M1009 was menacing the mean streets of Kitsap County, it was the loudest and brightest thing out there. The Whelen with two 100 watt air-horn outputs was distressingly loud, and the two 450 watt aircraft landing lights turned night into day, even turned off the streetlights.

With the M1165 sorted, I installed the Whelen siren controller in the HMMWV and now it's very loud, when it needs to be.

So a friend gifted me these LED area lights, and this seemed like the best location.

Landing Lights0.jpg

Then an epiphany, those LED bulbs are 7", and so are the 450 watt landing lights...

Landing Lights1.jpg

So..... why not? It needs to be wired up anyhow, so may as well give the old incandescent bulbs a try.

Landing Lights2.jpg

Well that's the blinding lights I remember! The electrical system isn't even winded, unlike the CUCV.

Landing Lights3jpg.jpg

Standing 12' back to take this picture, I could feel the heat projecting off the bulbs. I'll give them a try tomorrow on my way to work.

Landing Lights4.jpg

Greg841

First time I've had them both next to each other! The ambulance was a 2 man soft top when I got it 2 months ago from GP. Didn't intend on making it an ambulance originally but here we are. Still have a list of things I need to do to the ambulance but its all relatively minor stuff.

Attachments

M1165A1

Finished up the air compressor. Compressor is mounted on the bracket in the engine compartment. After the photo was taken the waterproof relay and circuit breaker got a healthy dose of RTV to further waterproof.

View attachment IMG_1645.jpg

View attachment IMG_1646.jpg

Output hose is routed to a 3 gallon tank which fits perfectly in the space between the rear cross member and the airflift bumper. The photo below is taken from the ground up.

View attachment IMG_1650.jpg

The outlet for now is just a temporary port. I have to decide on a permanent solution eventually.

View attachment IMG_1647.jpg

The compressor relay control circuit is wired in series to a pressure switch on the air tank (120-150 psi) and a toggle switch with a 7.5 amp fuse for safety. For reasons of convenience I have located the toggle switch behind the commander's seat.

View attachment IMG_1648.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First time I've had them both next to each other! The ambulance was a 2 man soft top when I got it 2 months ago from GP. Didn't intend on making it an ambulance originally but here we are. Still have a list of things I need to do to the ambulance but its all relatively minor stuff.
Is your M1151A1 lifted? Nice looking vehicle.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished up the air compressor. Compressor is mounted on the bracket in the engine compartment. After the photo was taken the waterproof relay and circuit breaker got a healthy dose of RTV to further waterproof.

View attachment 931058

View attachment 931059

Output hose is routed to a 3 gallon tank which fits perfectly in the space between the rear cross member and the airflift bumper. The photo below is taken from the ground up.

View attachment 931060

The outlet for now is just a temporary port. I have to decide on a permanent solution eventually.

View attachment 931061

The compressor relay control circuit is wired in series to a pressure switch on the air tank (120-150 psi) and a toggle switch with a 7.5 amp fuse for safety. For reasons of convenience I have located the toggle switch behind the commander's seat.

View attachment 931062
What kind of compressor is that? Nice job.

M1165A1

What kind of compressor is that? Nice job.

Thanks. The compressor is an Extreme Outback ExtremeAire High Output compressor, but it's milsurp.

I bought one of these refueling units on ebay to source the compressor:

1725588227509.jpeg

Since the compressor came in a pair, I bought a second bracket too as I had intended to put the second setup in my M1152A1. Unfortunately I have to sell that truck to make room for the MRZR that's inbound, so the compressor and bracket will be headed to the classifieds here.

mrfarb

I’m almost over the hump about adding some repro armor back to my 1151, that armor looks nice on yours, you may have just cost me some money.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. The compressor is an Extreme Outback ExtremeAire High Output compressor, but it's milsurp.

I bought one of these refueling units on ebay to source the compressor:

View attachment 931068

Since the compressor came in a pair, I bought a second bracket too as I had intended to put the second setup in my M1152A1. Unfortunately I have to sell that truck to make room for the MRZR that's inbound, so the compressor and bracket will be headed to the classifieds here.
Do you have any idea on what will you be asking on the classifieds?

spankybear

Which brand bedliner did you choose? In about two weeks I’m spraying lizardskin and bedliner and was just curious.
I used Custom Coat. I am happy with how the bed turned out but I am NOT happy with Custom Coat. I ordered the 1 gal kit though Amazon that included the spray gun.

First off the sent me the wrong tracking number. I have a PO box and was waiting for the post office to deliver. It never showed shipped. It turn out is was shipped UPS and was on my porch for a few days. I don't always look on the porch. As a matter of fact it says package may be lost on Amazon.

The larger issues was I had spent hours taping and masking the truck and was getting ready to spray the bed. I grabbed the gun out of the box. The gun was missing the part the attaches to the bottle and I couldn't spray. Piss the F out of me! I have to drive into town (hour round trip) and buy a raptor liner gun so I could get the bed sprayed that day.

I only use 2 qt to spray the bed and tailgate. There is a couple of area in the bed that I could have sprayed a little bit heaver but I didn't want to mix up another bottle. Also if you spray too heavy the sheen is shinier than I like. I wanted it as flat as I could get it.

I used the Behr paint back and brown to camo the bed. It seems to adhere well. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks