• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who makes a bearing packer big enough to handle M35A2 wheel bearings?

littlebob

Guys, guys guys...

I have a solution for you that satisfies 2 conditions:

1 is that you don't have time to pack bearings, or you dislike grease, or you're a Nancy-boy

The other is that you want a packed set of spares in your parts kit for cross-country trips.

The answer?

SEAL-A-MEAL !!

Seriously. Do it once, you will seek out the bags in Costco Quantities.
Great idea! I always thought we should have one of those. Now I can sell it to wife
for saving money on meals and just have to use it when shes not home.

tm america

i ussually do them by hand i have two different bearing packers that do the job they were made to do . i have a snapon that is a cup type and a lisle that is grease gun type .the grease gun type would be best with a bucket type pump so you dont have to change the grease tube in the middle of the job.but either way i always finish pack them by hand i when done with the packer. just to be safe.but the packers do save some time getting most of the grease in there

Keith_J

WHOA. That's... beautiful, if it works. If you had a complete set of replacement bearings on hand, you could repack them all ahead of time with a minimum of fuss.

Is it a problem to use new inner races with old outer races, tho?

Never advised. Bearings come as sets, the outer races are to be replaced with the caged inner race and rollers.

The outer races are not hard to remove, just a brass drift and a good hammer. It is a press fit, using a hydraulic press to install the new ones isn't needed either. It can be done in minutes.

drdstny

Banned
Is it a problem to use new inner races with old outer races, tho?
Don't do that.

Wear surfaces should be replaced when worn and matched when not (think camshaft & lifters in a small-block V8). Wheel/axle bearings, in particular, should be replaced as a unit: inner race, bearing assembly, outer race.

If I'm wrong, you've spent about $4 extra dollars per bearing and you can blame me for wasting your cash. If I'm right...well, what's your time worth? Mitigate that frustration; if you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

Pull the **** outer races and know your bearings won't seize when the races turn to Jell-O.

TexAndy

Heck, for that matter, you could take drdstny's strategy, but use it to quickly and easily repack old bearings, too.

Just start off with a bigger bag then you need, load up the bag, suck and seal, cut the top off, remove the newly packed bearing, and go again. You won't waste hardly any grease that way, because you'll be using the same bag for all 12 bearings.

When you're done, seal up the bag or cut it open down the side to scrape the excess grease off back into the tub.

drdstny

Banned
Heck, for that matter, you could take drdstny's strategy, but use it to quickly and easily repack old bearings, too.
That, my friend, is what the tree-huggers these days call "recycling." I always thought of it as "longer time before I have to empty the garbage."

Either way, it's spot-on, and a good tip.

Keith_J

Just start off with a bigger bag then you need, load up the bag, suck and seal, cut the top off, remove the newly packed bearing, and go again. You won't waste hardly any grease that way, because you'll be using the same bag for all 12 bearings.

When you're done, seal up the bag or cut it open down the side to scrape the excess grease off back into the tub.
Could be done in the field with a heavy ziplock bag and a hand operated Mity Vac pump.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto:

Is this what you're talking about for the second style of packer?
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Will that work for deuce and a half bearings?
Yes, although there is a lot of waste to this one as was mentioned by another poster. Honestly, I think you said you had 3 trucks and you have friends as well, I'd go ahead and buy the 5 gallon bucket of grease and get the style that mounts on the top (as shown elsewhere in the thread).

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Debated whether to put this here or here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-boots-stepXstep&p=94509&viewfull=1#post94509 but since this thread is more specific, guess I'll put it here.

With the sheer number of deuces I was doing, I got tired of doing bearings by hand. It's time consuming. So I went ahead and bought a big packing unit and a 5 gallon bucket of grease. Heck, the grease was over $100, even with my jobber account.

I can heartily recommend this method. Super fast, put the bearing in, push the lever down, bearing is packed and you know you got in between all the rollers.

You can get these from people all over the place-your Snap-on, Matco, S-K, Mac tools guys, internet, Northern tool, etc.

IMAG0507.jpgIMAG0506.jpg

TsgtB

It looks like the HF packer is no longer available. I'm ok with doing them by hand, I'd just like to know i'm getting some in there and don't want to do the zip lock trick yet...
Anyone know of a cheap packer, big enough to work?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Get a "grease needle" for your grease gun. You can just squirt the grease in there without wasting as much(between the rollers).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a mil-surp metal one that is massive. I'l try to find a name on it tomorrow.

Try doing a google search for:

[h=1]UNIVERSAL BEARING PACKER up to 5-5/16 Brand New grease filler[/h]

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the grease needle method, because then I only have to clean the needle.

I had a packer once, and it seemed more trouble than it was worth to have to clean it up when done if you're only doing 1 or 2 bearings. Maybe on an assembly line... I like the one that plugs into a 5 gallon bucket, but it'd get covered in dog hair and dirt in no time around here.