• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who makes a bearing packer big enough to handle M35A2 wheel bearings?

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Camel brand grease "wand". I have had it for approx. 35 years. It is about 6 inches long. It is round with a zerk fitting on one end. The other end is flattened out to about an inch wide but thin enough and curved to fit into the bearing itself. You just insert into bearing and fill with a grease gun. You just work all the way around the bearing an inch at a time until the bearing is packed. You can even grease the inner bearing on a hub without removing if you want.

Hainebd

I use the "Hand in plastic bag trick". Put your hand in a plastic bag large enough for bearing cup and cone to fit in and seal. Trick is to turn bag inside out, scoop up some grease in your palm, take cone and starting with the wide side between the race and cage, push the grease in till it comes out the other end. Then move slowly all the way around till packed with grease. It dose not have to be 100% full. Just close. Now scrape off any excess and place the cup on the cone. Now turn bag inside out so you can seal. Takes a couple of minutes to do each. Do all at same time. Keep lid on your grease to keep dirt out. The number one cause of bearing failures is contamination of the lubricant. Bearing packers are nice new. Grease guns are nice new. After some time they both put dirt in to what you are greasing. Same thing with the big greas bucket. I would never grease anything except a 5th wheel plate with that stuff. No the largest tub of grease I use is 5 lbs. always closed. New grease gun tube, never refill. Always wipe the grease fitting and coupler with a rag before attaching and after. That big blob of grease next to the fitting is hiding the fact that the ball did not seat so after a while that u-joint will fail. Have fun!