• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buzzards Roost

Rhino 5/4

Good morning everyone. We finally got off high center and back to moving forward on the Roost. The deuce and 5 ton wheels were all broken down and deuce wheels and rings sandblasted, wire brushed, primed and painted. we had to repaint when mounted on truck, I tried to rattle can the hubs, studs and nuts but the can did not match the spray gun for some reason, maybe the thinner we used and ratio. working on getting the roof back on her now but will be doing a run and on vacation wiht the boys for the next couple of weeks so not much progress will be made. 20240629_120830.jpg20240629_161344.jpg20240703_204123.jpg20240703_204210.jpg20240704_102135.jpg20240704_103350.jpg20240704_203114.jpg20240704_203124.jpg20240705_164444.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good morning everyone. We finally got off high center and back to moving forward on the Roost. The deuce and 5 ton wheels were all broken down and deuce wheels and rings sandblasted, wire brushed, primed and painted. we had to repaint when mounted on truck, I tried to rattle can the hubs, studs and nuts but the can did not match the spray gun for some reason, maybe the thinner we used and ratio. working on getting the roof back on her now but will be doing a run and on vacation wiht the boys for the next couple of weeks so not much progress will be made. View attachment 927402View attachment 927403View attachment 927404View attachment 927405View attachment 927406View attachment 927407View attachment 927408View attachment 927409View attachment 927410
Lookin Good!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it would seem ok to me and u and Third as well to take the kids with you on vacation to Vegas cause its never too soon to teach them how to count cards and how to take the hinges off the in room mini bars and other highly sought after skills !

Last edited:

Rhino 5/4

Roof done for now. Haven't water tested yet. Windows came in last week. Last shoot this weekend and hopefully will get some faster progress soon. Pulled seats from red truck and had radiator cleaned hoping to solve overheating issue. Planning on raptor line whole truck sand color with black body lines. Roof didn't turn out quite like I wanted but should be good to go after sealing with raptor line. Hopefully get on road to test drive this week. Looking for a good hard top if anyone knows of one. I might have to reskin the top of one of the ones I have or swap over the red top for time being. Been busy with work and doing 4 shoots this month. IMG_20240816_195741325.jpgIMG_20240816_195722533.jpg

dr3d

LMBO ... finally scrolled from the top. Good news 'cause I ain't no more worried about offending the crowd. I talk fancy sometimes, but you'll get over it.

So, is this rig named after a water'n hole just our side of the border? If it is, we share some friends.

With that new roof I ain't gonna have any luck talking you outa that 109 box. I am sure hoping to stumble across one before I build a replica. Bring'n home a '71 in a couple weeks and a 109 box would be one heck of a short cut.

Well played brothers.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Rhino 5/4

Glad to meet you dr3d Sir. Actually one of my uncles had the blacklight poster (my avitar) from back in the day and my grandfather found it and put it in his bathroom when he built it. He was my hunting buddy and he said it reminded him of me, (I have a sitting still problem) hehehe. I got the poster when he passed and hoping to restore it best I can and put it in the Roost. They just seem to go together I guess. There were several 109s where I got mine but havent been back in a long while so I do not know if they are still there. I will check next time I am that way. Not too far from Waco in Gatesville. They were all in rough shape but certainly repairable I would think. You might consider the reproduction as a better alternative. rebuilding this ol girl has been a lot of work and still have a long way to go. I was thinking about getting a cargo trailer built less the tongue and axle and setting it on the red deuce I have to see how it would work out. Hope to meet you in person, my grandsons live in Shiner and my granddaughter in Bastrop so I will be certainly going that way with her in the future. Oh, and Ya, feelings, i dont do and if the truth offends someone, well..... you might need to go check yourself.

Attachments

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roof done for now. Haven't water tested yet. Windows came in last week. Last shoot this weekend and hopefully will get some faster progress soon. Pulled seats from red truck and had radiator cleaned hoping to solve overheating issue. Planning on raptor line whole truck sand color with black body lines. Roof didn't turn out quite like I wanted but should be good to go after sealing with raptor line. Hopefully get on road to test drive this week. Looking for a good hard top if anyone knows of one. I might have to reskin the top of one of the ones I have or swap over the red top for time being. Been busy with work and doing 4 shoots this month. View attachment 930002View attachment 930003
Those corners turned out good ! You might have roofers blood in ya after all !

Rhino 5/4

A little more headway this weekend, I found a big spreader bar and we have a big skytrack at our work, I am seriously considering lifting the box off so I can paint between the cab and box. I think I counted 8 bolts or so on each side. might not be too big of an ordeal. Brakes are still an issue, Bled, adjusted, re bled still slow to stop with pedal all the way down. Going to go through rear wheel cylinders next, i just installed front wheel cylinders and airpack with master cylinder recently. Discovered the selector shaft on the winch is broken, would anyone know of a source for one and how much of a pain it will be to replace?
Still in search of a good hard top if anyone knows of one for sale. Shooting for 9-19 to make her first Run n Gun trip.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks